Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
BrianT
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Everyone with Slow NBN Read this before moving forward

Wow, 8 to 10 meters wifi coverage, I know the sagemcom was sh*t, but I didnt think anything a professional company would send could be that low-quality, I can urinate on a hot summer's day further!!!!!

As for connection, the Fetch is plugged into the ShaggedCom modem by a 30cm Cat6 LAN cable, the ShaggedCom is connected by their supp[lied white cable to the phone port, and the phone port and lead-in cable are brand new (no other ports, sockets, phone points in the house).

I know the lead-in cable is new, I pulled it through myself after 18 months of 50+ drop-outs a day on iiNet ADSL2+, we determined the lead-in was of questionable quality, so myself (almost 20 yrs Licenced cabler) and the Telstra contract engineer pulled a new lead-in cable through, did end to end tests, confirmed quality, and terminated the cable.

This is what makes me chuckle with the Optus support Tech Vin Daloo, they try to talk technical to pull the wool over your eyes, try to spin up excuses such as lead-in cables, side-talk on the line, stray voltages, the recent cyclone in Qld has probably dumped a huge amount of rain in your pits in South-wester Sydney, etc, etc.

I worked with ISP's back in 2000 to 2004, I installed ADSL, I was one of the first setting up 1.5Mbps/256kb internet, and I was selling VDSL services to internet cafe's.

Here we are almost 20 yrs on, and we have the government telling us how grand this brand new VDSL technology is.....

We are being had at every angle, and now the RSP/ISP isnt buying the required bandwidth to supply to the subscribers...

Back when I was doing ISP, we purchased bandwidth back to our radius when peaks where showing 85% capacity, it was expensive, and we knew if every customer hit their speed limit at the same time, this was still only enough bandwidth to supply about 30% capacity, however it supported the small-load users like the mums and dads, and still kept the leechers mostly happy.

These days, it appears Optus wont upgrade it's backhaul bandwidth until 80% of the users are complaining.....

Reactive, as opposed to pro-active.

I have lost a lot of faith in Optus from this.

mackov83
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

To provide an update...

1st complaint went nowhere. 2nd complaint has now been acted on and the following was what I received:

• Refund of any SpeedBoost paid
  • Reduced cost until I decide to switch providers
  • $0 cancellation

The guy I spoke to was very understanding, went as far as to say that he is paying for internet from another provider when he is entitled to free internet as an employee. Pretty damning...

TezzaP
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

wonder if this will be deleted like the other two times i tried to post it

This will hopefully be a game changer and shame these companys that think  they can sell not enough bandwidth.  

The ACCC will start monitoring the speed of your NBN connection | Business Insider

The federal government has announced it would grant $7 million to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission for the watchdog to start monitoring the performance of Australian broadband.

The scheme has been launched just as the NBN is starting to roll out en masse in urban areas and debate escalates about whether retail service providers are buying enough capacity for real-life performance to satisfactorily match speed promises made in their marketing.

“This program will see the ACCC test and report on the typical speed and performance of broadband plans provided over the NBN,” said ACCC chair Rod Sims. “This information will assist consumers in comparing and shopping around, and checking that they receive what they are paying for.”

The four-year program will see hardware devices attached to the fixed-line broadband connections of 4,000 households to record speeds at various times during the day. After a testing provider is appointed, monitoring will begin next month with statistics starting to be published in the second half of this year.

With end users often blaming the NBN for performance issues, the responsibility of retailers to buy enough wholesale capacity from the national network is coming into focus — and the ACCC’s monitoring program is aimed to make the retail service providers more accountable in this regard.

“The program will also allow the ACCC to determine if issues are being caused by the performance of the NBN, or by internet service providers (ISPs) not buying sufficient capacity. It will also provide ISPs with independent performance information from which to draw when making speed claims,” Sims said.

The ACCC chair also criticised the current retail broadband market for lacking sufficient information and not matching up suitable products according to consumer needs.

“This improved transparency will help these consumers exercise choice as next generation services are rolled out, including on the NBN.”

The consumer watchdog previously ran a pilot broadband monitoring program and published the results in 2015. The full-blown monitoring project follows similar efforts by regulators in the United Kingdom, United States, Singapore and Canada, which the ACCC said had measurably improved retailer transparency in those markets.

Complaints about broadband speeds to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman increased 48% in 2015-16, which made it the single most-complained about issue during that year.

kpc32
Contributor
Contributor

That's good news, keep them honest.

Screen shot it so they don't delete it like last time

Mods i'm still waiting on my call it's passed the TIO date...

GKarklins
Contributor
Contributor

OK YesCrowd bloggers, here's the thing...

Due to the voluminous complaints Optus and other RSP customers have lodged with the TIO & ACCC, as @TezzaP has reported, there WILL now be a national review of Sales offers versus Consumer experiences. Yes, this will take several months. Both the RSP community and NBN will be found wanting in different but related service areas.

As much as I have complained about Optus in this and other YesCrowd blogs, there are a few things everyone needs to understand and cope with in the short term in respect to their expectations of the top speeds their "Plan" should deliver:

1) All and I mean ALLL  of the Tier 1 Telcos are experiencing the same issues, due to the difficulty of modelling whether for example 100/40 customers actually NEED that speed and how much the Telco is prepared to pay NBN to cover a "worst case" high speed demand window  at PEAK usage times. It's a difficult Demand/Supply algorithm.

Who are the top 4 Tier 1 Telcos/RSP'?  -  Telstra, Optus, TPG, Vocus. And they ALL have, to different degrees, similar congestion and service issues due to the NBN pricing model and their own Shareholder pressure for measured ROI growth while fulfilling market / customer expectations. Telcos are in one of the MOST competitive and publicly transparent industries.

2) if you believe that by moving to a Tier 2 or Tier 3 RSP that resells NBN services will resolve all your NBN  speed problems, think again... IT MOST PROBABLY WON'T...

- Why...? all the Tier 2/3 RSP's basically have a Wholesale agreement to resell the services of their contracted Tier 1 Telco (Telstra, Optus, Vocus, TPG) They would hardly ever have their own backhaul (interstate fast network connection) to provide alternate NBN services apart from their chosen Tier 1 Telco/RSP's backhaul, transit or peering facilitiws.

- for example, moving from Optus NBN to Aussiebroadband will end you up with an Optus service. No gain, more montly $'s and the same pain.

Careful how you plan your exit strategy from Optus or Telsta or Vocus RSP's or TPG's spiderweb or recently acquired RSP's. Do your research on all the blog and whirlpool.com.au entries. There's heaps.

For me, I'm going to ride it out with Optus for a while longer to see if ACCC &TIO actions resolve into market sanity

Davo19
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@TezzaP  I'm curious to see if your speed remains stable at that rate during those times:

06:00am - 07:00am, 10:00am - 01:00pm, 4:00pm - 6:00pm, 6:00pm - 08:00pm, Any time after 09:00pm

I expect to see high jitter, Latency and ping for periods from 10:00am - 08:00pm unless in your area Optus got more CVC.

0 Kudos
GKarklins
Contributor
Contributor

I response to @BrianT ...and others suffering from SageCrap issues

Re Sagecom @slowassh##t Routers....

Buy something like a D-Link or similar AC1750 router, set it to Residential Gateway, either keep your previous wireless SSID and passwords for all connected devices, and save yourself a heap of issues reinstalling wi-fi and suffering from SageCrap @ultraslow .

PM me if you need any help, or if you're in Adelaide I may be able to drop by and help configure your new Router over a glass of red and chat about [Edited by Moderator: Profanity]

0 Kudos
GKarklins
Contributor
Contributor

Honestly Optus, what is this...?

25/14 on a Saturday night on a 100/40 plan.

In my IT industry service SLA reports I issue monthly to customers, that would represent a 25% achievement on contracted service levels.

If my company delivered such an under-performing result, we would have no customers.

Yes, I do understand the challenges of providing 100% of NBN advertised speeds due to "congestion" but in my world, a 25% achievement on target performancet would result in massive Service Levvel Credits.

And your Retention team has come part way in recompensing me with credits etc, but a 25% performance is inexusable, no matter what $ recompense is offered.

0 Kudos
TezzaP
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@GKarklins

Correct and very informative, with at least one exception.   My second internet connection i got put on with another RSP has a guaranteed 125% CVC bandwidth.   That is their Teir 1 wholesale supplier guarantees they have 125 percent CVC bandwidth during peak periods.     I have a had a couple of network issues with this connection but non congestion related.   Generally during peak periods i sit above 80mb/s connection speed.    

My optus speed hike was short lived its now down to 20/38 during the day and cant even complete a speed test during the evening 😞  

GKarklins
Contributor
Contributor

@TezzaP well done...!! And yes, there are exceptions 😊

How about a PM so I can investigate your alternative?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors