Frequent Contributor

Re: Everyone with Slow NBN Read this before moving forward

tonights speed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor casperchris
New Contributor

I've been with Optus only 3 days and every night I'm down to 3-5 Mbps.  This is clearly the problem and I'll be considering not only my NBN but my mobile packages too if they don't provide an adequate fix.

0 Kudos
New Contributor redbarb68
New Contributor

I really wish we had seen this post before signing on the dotted line. We have only been with Optus for a few days and already the speed is appalling. Wishing we'd stayed with Skymesh - we've signed up for Fetch TV and can't even watch it!! We are meant to have 25/5 connection and it's averaging about 2/4 Woman Mad

Speedtest.png

Here is our Speedtest result - which I did several times tonight. Gong to call Optus in the morning and cancel our contract!!

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@redbarb68 - why did you move from SkyMesh?  I've just moved from Optarse to SkyMesh and very happy getting 58Mbps at 9-10am and 58Mpbs at 9-10pm whereas with Optarse it was 4-6 Mbps at 9-10pm.

The Optus bundles just aren't worth the pain of oversubscribed "unlimited data" debacle that is the Optus "network".  Fetch is useless in peak times, as is trying to watch EPL.

Get out while you can!

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@casperchris - I moved my NBN FTTN small business service from Optarse and, although mobile speeds and coverage was good (188Mbps downloads on 4G is impressive), took my 4 mobiles off Optarse too.

Optus lost my custom for life.

Get out while you can - cooling off period?

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

My new ISP at 9:46pm.  This is what it SHOULD be like people.

946pm.png

Get out while you can!

0 Kudos
Contributor GKarklins
Contributor

@rcarde and @casperchris

There is no "cooling off period" with Optus.

Process is:

- escalate asking for  Complaint Number (prefixed with COM) not one of their "Reference" numbers. 

- ask for  Case Manager be assign to your Complaint Number and who that person will be. Ask that you be advised of their name AND contact number within 24 hours.

- when the Case Manager does eventually contact you they will offer either a "no fee contract break" or a rebate of 50% of your internet service fee for up to 6 months. Thete's no rebate for your phone connection fee, so that's essentially a 25% rebate on monthly fees for up to 6 months.

My advice.... Take the no cancellation fee offer and get as far away from Optus as you can.

New Contributor redbarb68
New Contributor

@rcarde - We were getting new mobiles (which we were happy to stay with Optus) and were offered the "too good to be true" deal of the Entertainment Pack they had on offer. We thought "great" - will save us a fortune having our home phone, internet and pay-tv bundled together for only $90/month. Well suckered big time - took 3 days for the churn from Skymesh to Optus to take effect so no internet (Optus had not activated from their side), then first night great speed and watched our new Fetch box yesterday only to have s*#@ (pardon expletive) connection tonight to the point we turned the damn box off!! I had no issue with Skymesh whatsoever and was a little apprehensive leaving them. Now my fears are justified Smiley Mad

Occasional Contributor BrianT
Occasional Contributor

I too have been having slow speeds, myself and wife pay for a 50/25 service, but our syncronisation speeds are around 20/18 at the moment.

I have spoken with Optus last thursday, Friday, spend 6 hours (Yes, 6 god damn hours!!!!) on the phone trying to speak with a human, firstly ended up with Mobile data after waiting for 75 minutes, could be transfered but if I called back I could utilise the call back feature. I hung up, called back and used the call back feature, got a call 45 minutes later, this was NBN Activations..... WTF!

I then got transfered to NBN support, was on the phone on hold for 95 minutes, had to hang up and take my wife to a hospital appointment (remeber, I started this BS attempt for support some 3.5 hours earlier)....

That night, I decided to try again, an hour later, I finally speak to someone, firstly was told the modem may be congested and to reset it (done it a dozen times already), secondly ,was told that there was upgrades and a faulty node in my area (there isnt, it's not listed on the faults and issues page), then was told straight up from the support, Optus doesnt have enough bandwidth for all they customers connecting, I could try downgrading my service so the "payed for" and "actually getting" isnt as bad.

are you friggin serious!!!! downgrade so it doesnt look as bad!!!!

I tried to note to the 'support person' that I am not even getting sync between the node and the premise, I am getting less than 10mbps down during peak times, I can not use my Fetch TV (also part of the bundle) because it complains not enough bandwidth.

Service is not as described, and not fit for purpose!

I too have lodged a complaint with TIO on the matter, I want full speeds, or I want a FULL refund of the entire connection, I have not EVER had what I have paid for!!!

I urge EVERYONE to lodge TIO complaints, the carrier gets penalised for every TIO complaint, and if enough people actually put their issues across, something has to be done.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I was just wondering how your Fetch TV is connected.  If it is WiFi it is probably an issue with the signal from their very ironically named Sagemcom F@st WiFi Router.  I found that using the old Netgear CG3000 Cable WiFi Modem Router I could get 3 mbswhich the Fetch device was happy with.  While using the Sagemcom I got either poor or low for the the 5 and 2.4 ghz signals.  I was told by support about 93 minutes into a call, yep I am showing off now, that the coverage for the WiFi is 8 - 10 metres which is more like 2 tin cans and a piece of string not WiFi.  I am now using the CG3000 as a WiFi hotspot cabled directly to the Sagemcom to get around the limitations of this piece of rubbish hardware.