Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor bekzyj
Occasional Contributor

Re: Everyone with Slow NBN Read this before moving forward

Where do you complain to within optus? Telephone? I get fobbed around each time I try ringing and have been 👀 looking for email alternatives. I've had trouble understanding the operators (broken English) and get very frustrated. I was told not to 'worry about my hard earned money' but have no credits on my bills. I think I might go straight up to the other suggested links in this thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Mark64
New Contributor

I must admit I  don't fully understand all the reasons why the WONDERFUL FAST NBN is not wonderful and not fast.

Life was easier when I dropped of at the video shop on the way home from work got the pop corn sat down with the family, forgot about the week and watched a movie trouble free.

Now I  either get an absolute crap downloaded version of a movie from fetch or we try and watch a stop start streamed movie with groans and exclamations every time it starts buffering.  Half way through the movie most of the kids get up and do something else and half way through you just want it to end to see what happens. 

Is this where technology is going?  I'm sick of it.

I dont really have the time to chasing this up and I  have more important things to do than worry about it.

Come on optus we pay good money just bloody fix it.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You have nearly lost me!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

One really good thing about the NBN is it makes it REALLY EASY to change providers (once you go through the pain of geting Optus to release you from your contract).

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Churn-baby-Churn-Congestion-is-not-going-to-improve-soon/m-p/20...

Optus aren't fixing it.  Other providers give guarantees like 75% maximum speed even during peak.  Optus give less than 10%.  They are a fraud.

People have moved to AusBBS, SkyMesh, other smaller ISPs who actually care!  Never looked back.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@bekzyj

what i found with optus is the more you ring the more you are filled with glorious hot air.    They will string you along and palm you off, i even got hung up on.     

Working in the industry i have a fair idea of how it all works I even have an idea how optus/singtel work internally after being an major incident manager with them for a while.     

My advice to you and to everyone that is not happy is to engage optus once only.   when you get the run around lodge a complaint with the TIO.com.au and request that they investigate the slowness and get your released from your contract at no cost to you.   

Lodge a complaint with ACCC about the bad business practices of this company.   They are not providing what  you are purchasing and although its not illegal in anyway (they need to provide best effort speeds only)  it is a bad.   If they were selling petrol and you only got 2litres and not 100 like you purchased the petrol station would be fined and probably out of business so why is internet any different ... 

Have a read of @rcarde thread he posted on an earlier post here as he has decent info about moving.    If you have FTTH you can get another service provider whilst optus is still connected and use it .. 

Be aware if you have fetch they will prob try and charge you 200.00 for the STB  if you leave

Good luck with it

Highlighted
New Contributor DeadSlow
New Contributor

I'm on 2.49 down, 4.07 up. Same response from Optus - the network is being upgraded, but we don't know when. Just keep paying for dial-up speeds until maybe it's fixed.

At least the tech had the decency to point out that the problem is purely Optus - not NBN or anything else. Let's see how they go with refunds. what a joke Optus. You guys are pathetic.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

After 3 attempts just to get through to a person, that's the first 2 calls going through 'options' taking 5 minutes each time to only have the call ended because there is no way to go back to previous menu! I got through using different options on the third try. Mind you was on hold for half an hour! Still I was put through to tech support, I told them is all I want to do is lodge a complaint. Anyway, you are right! A whole lot of waffle was sprayed out.. basically told yet again, they are upgrading in my area, there is no time limit blah blah! I again explained I wanted compensation for paying for the speed I am and not getting it.. he ended up telling me, I will be notified when the upgrade is finished, then I have to ring billing, to discuss re embursement 😂🤦🏼‍♀️ 

I can't even watch a little clip on Facebook using wifi without it pausing every second! I have to switch to my mobile data! It's a joke,. He even had the cheek to say to me 'I can see that you used 1gb today so u can still use it?, is your problem just with the speed' 

oh my... UMMM YEAH, I pay for that extra speed! I'm going to look at what other companies have on offer and definately lodge with Telecommunications. Appreciate the feedback

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

They tried telling me it was in my area only. Umm I said well it's not just by my area as there seems to be a few more on optus crowd with the same problem 🤦🏼‍♀️

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor vedsez
Occasional Contributor

Congras mate.

Right on target.All I want to add to this excellent article is, the problem is not only ISP's problem. ISP's wants to make money within the less expensive most possible way. How ever , we have law maker instuties in this country.Australian Parlaiment and their members of the Public which we call them MP's. If the Law makers pass the bill to block, black doors of system and force companies to what accualy NBN speed meaning is the provide we won't be having issuies we have today and tomorrow.

Look at the advertisment of ,Including NBN's and every single ISP's . Fast.Very fast.Rocketing.Lightning so on......Do we realy have rocketing speed internet.? I have installed FTTP with top speed. Most of the times clocked 95mbps. How ever in real life I don't think my actual speed is 95mbps.I accept every argument put before us by NBN and ISP such as metarial, PC configuration so on...valid argument.How ever,own lates PC on market, top of the range connection (fttp) with top speed I should have to have realy lightning connection on local servers. Such as ABC's news portal.Such as OPTUS server. Do we? 

Unforfunately current goverment of us kills the future of this nation modern life style by stopping FTTP to every house.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

While I agree that the Tech people try and help they appraently are not given the appropriate resources by Optus to do their jobs.  This is why when you ring you get railroaded, via the prompts on their phone system, that leads you to a place where the call terminates.  Each tome I have called to help it has taken me between 2 and 4 attempts to get through to a human and in one case changes made stopped my emails from the time the Teck remoted into my computer until I rang up again the next day.  Luckily I have had no "speed issues" yet, as such but the Sagemcom router has such a poor WiFi signal compared to the Netgear, even though Sales told me it would be better ... Sales .... why did I fall for that?  I have a Tech coming out on monday PM to remove the old Optus Hardware give me a phone connection in the lounge and hopefully fix the WiFi.  The last bit I have my doubts about so i hope i will get some sort of compensation apart frrm the 15 or so calls to Optus to try and get this sorted.  This is so frustrating as it has been going on since the 14th of March when the nice, efficient, NBN bloke turned up. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Mij
Occasional Contributor

FYI

From the ACMA website

‘The telecommunications industry has come a long way since complaints to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) peaked at almost 200,000 a year six years ago,’ said acting ACMA Chairman, Richard Bean. ‘But the complaints-handling practices of some providers continue to fall short of the standards expected by consumers and the ACMA will hold them to account.’

And ...

The TCP Code

The Code requires providers to take certain steps to ensure complaints are managed with fairness, courtesy, objectivity and efficiency, including the monitoring of delays in complaint resolution and advice to customers.

It also requires providers to keep complaint records including the steps taken to address a complaint and the resolution (if any).

Additionally the Code requires that providers not take any credit management action in relation to amounts that are the subject of an ongoing unresolved complaint that is still under consideration by the provider or the TIO.

Further form the ACMA website

Your service provider must make have a complaints-handling process that is customer-focused, accessible and easy to use. A summary of the process must be made available to customers and the information should be clear.

If you do not have access to the internet, you can ask for a copy of the complaints-handling process, which must be made available to you free of charge.

Telcos must provide assistance to customers to formulate, lodge and progress a complaint, including customers with disabilities, customers suffering hardship and customers from non-English speaking backgrounds.

Your service provider’s complaints-handling process needs to have been developed with regard to the Australian Standard on Complaint Handling.

Above are direct copies from the relevant websites so not responsible for errors in spelling or grammar

0 Kudos