cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor fingers
New Contributor

Enabling Speed pack

We recently moved from Cable to NBN and signed up to the $80 plan with up tp 25mbps (was getting 23/4). Last weekend I ugraded to the 50/2 speed pack, and was told it could take 15 mins to 2 hrs, and to restart my Modem, which I did (I have tried both Optus modem and NBN) 

Unfortunately I am still only getting 23/4 MBPS which is the same speed before the upgrade - can someone let me know what I am supposed to be doing?

If the Speed Pack is not going to deliver an increase in speed, can I get a refund for the extra money I am paying - or can I switch back to Cable.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Enabling Speed pack

What does your modem tell you the sync speed is.

We hear lots of people who don't get any speed from a speed pack, and we have no idea how much the NBN is congested.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2017/07/20/nbn-dodgy-providers-accc-investigation/

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There's nothing to do at your end (although couldn't hurt to turn the modem of and on again.)

Likely when you talk to cust service (which this isn't) again they'll say its not yet active. might take a couple of calls to 'stick'

You'll be able to cancel any future spending on the speed pack if you can't use it. You'll also get a credit on the current month 

if you stop it within a few days after you confirm its applied.

Note congestion only happens 7pm - 11pm. If you just can't get above 23mbps ever then its either not applied yet or incapable of that speed. What NBN tech do you have? Fibre?

Call Optus and find out if it has been applied yet (they can tell immeadiately) and get them to check your line speed from their end.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor fingers
New Contributor

Very interesting -between yesterday, posting this morning and now - the speed has suddenly increased co-incedentally:

I will see if this has changed things, and is maintained during peak periodsSpeed.jpg

0 Kudos
New Contributor fingers
New Contributor

I will test during congestion time, as the speed has dropped from 44 to 25 within 40 mins of posting. So I know the speed pack has been activated.

I think I am on HFC (old Foxtel cable).

Definately not happy if speed is limited during congestion time - and with all that is going on in the media with NBN,  I will look to making a complaint with ACCC and look at other providers who apparently purchase more CVC than others.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

25 (out of 50) in peak period is still pretty damn good by all reports.

NBNCo is (IMO) being a little two faced in its representations on CVC congestion. It says its providing the speeds as advertised, its just the RSPs that are skimping on buying. What they don't mention is the cost RSPs must pay to buy the bandwidth. NBNCo has been structured to make a profit. So bandwidth costs RSPs a lot of money. They could of course offer $180 unlimited 100Mbps plans with $100 for the 12 Mbps teir, but they're probably right that no one would pay that. So instead they offer $100 unlimited 100Mbps plans and cut corners on the delivery.

Not sure what the answer is going to be. Perhaps the government of the day will lighten up a little and the ROI for the NBN could be calculated over 10 or 20 years instead of 5. After all we could have built the entire fibre to the home NBN over 5 years if we just cut our military spending by 25%

But that's by the by. Seems you have the speed pack. Hope the actual end result is what you need (i.e. a speed test is all very good, but if you can stream and internet as you need then the rest is just numbers.)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors