Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Species1951
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Email Port 25 and Use of Malwarebytes Privacy Software

I use Malwarebytes And Malwarebytes Privacy software. I've found that when Malwarebytes Privacy is turned on, I'm not able to send emails via MS Outlook 2013 (I'm not sure if Webmail can send out emails if Malwarebytes Privacy is on at this stage). The Malwarebytes website identifies Port 25 (email client communication port) as an unsecured port that is commonly used for spam and recommends approaching the Provider to see if there is anyway of setting the "correct" port number on the email client. My emphasis is on using MS Outlook 2013 to manage my emails so I'm not really interested in discontinuing its use in favour of Webmail (if by any chance Webmail can send emails whilst Malwarebytes Privacy is on).

I've identified the Port number currently used by my MS Outlook 2013 as being Port 25.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Email Port 25 and Use of Malwarebytes Privacy Software

Seems like you need to change your outlook and Malwarebytes settings?
0 Kudos
Species1951
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Why should I change my Outlook? - It's perfectly functional. As far as changing the Malwarebytes Privacy settings is concerned, your suggestion doesn't address the issue raised by Malwarebytes that Port 25 is commonly used by scammers - it would be wonderful if someone from Optus would comment on that. Also, I need to know if it's possible for Optus Webmail to operate from a different Port.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Species1951 wrote:

I'm not sure if Webmail can send out emails if Malwarebytes Privacy is on at this stage

Webmail is run on Optus' servers and not on your computer, so it does not use any ports other then standard HTTP (80) and HTTPS (443).

The Malwarebytes website identifies Port 25 (email client communication port) as an unsecured port that is commonly used for spam and recommends approaching the Provider to see if there is anyway of setting the "correct" port number on the email client.

Well port 25 is  the "correct" port number as in its the standard port number. What you want is the secure alternative. See this thread,

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Why should I change my Outlook? - It's perfectly functional."

Except you say its not? You say Outlook requires port 25 and Malwarebytes doesn't allow it. Its your choice to use Outlook and Malwarebytes and I'm just respecting that decision. The fix is not necessarily to do with with Optus

You won't get any response from Optus on this forum unfortunately.

But there are some people who could help point you in the wrong direction.
0 Kudos
Species1951
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for that information. It's a bit complicated, but I think it answers the question. Very much appreciated.
0 Kudos
Species1951
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Looks like yetanotheracc has come through with a solution or at least a good explanation for my issue. Thanks anyway.

Top Contributors