Searching...

EPL on Optus NBN - sample

[ Edited ]
Larico

20170524_180012.jpg

So this is what an on demand replay looks like from Optus servers on an Optus NBN connection @ apparently 100/40mbps at 6pm. Don't worry, there aren't any copyright issues there since it is impossible to discern what is going on in the scene anyway.

My humble recommendation to everyone: move ISP's. You should care/put up with a company for only as much as they do in reverse. In the case of Optus, not at all.

From,

A long time Optus customer since 2002.

A FORMER Optus customer.

Re: EPL on Optus NBN - sample

petergdownload

You're not alone (although technically you are now you've left)

Optus getting content like the EPL is something the big 4 Telco's are all trying to do (Theory being that once the NBN really hits then any ISP can hook you up to the NBN as well as any other. So content will be king.)

Unfortunately it appears all Optus have succeeded in doing is effectively locking the EPL away from many and those that do subscribe find it a very sub standard experience (as your screen shot shows). Some of that's due to Optus and other things are beyond their control.

OPtus paid millions for the rights to the EPL. They need to get it working much better IMO.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Larico

Absolutely they need to get it working better, I obviously agree.

The backend for their streaming is subpar- it does not buffer and handle fluctuating bandwith nearly as well as Youtube or Netlfix for example, who have outstanding (internal) infrastructure (both software and hardware).

Although I am curious what part of this is out of Optus' control?

I thought it was plain to see that everything about this service is ENTIRELY within their 'control'.

### let me just add, if I am not grossly mistaken, Allen Lew himself claimed that the upgrades from Optus would be able to handle this in 4K. ...Clearly. Maybe he confused 4K with 480p. *shrugs*

petergdownload

"Although I am curious what part of this is out of Optus' control?"

Lots. For one thing the content of the stream itself. Optus just broadcast what is being aired in England. But also the NBN is responsible for a big part of your signal. And the internet itself is just something Optus plugs into and delivers content at its own speed. And of course your home setup is beyond optus control. 

This isn't to say Optus is the bottle neck here, but they control about 20% of the data chain to your house.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Larico

Alright, I'll address each point, in the spirit of being as clear as possible.

1. Now when you say 'broadcast', there is no broadcasting (in the traditional sense) happening- I specifically referred to an ON DEMAND replay. BUT, I'll play along, lets talk about the live content as well.

a) Optus receive (like all other providers) the video feed. At this point,  based on the way Optus appear to be running things, that data would be cached within THEIR infrastructure and then pushed out (effectively) again through their platform (the online player and it's back-end, which would be doing some processing).

So- they don't NEED control of the source (the camera's). The original source does not provide them with 360p video for example: this only happens because their platform processes or re-encodes the original feed before hitting end users (think DLNA services) to reduce bandwith, etc, with the aim of providing a smoother stream at some expense (usually quality).

b) OR is the inference about 'signal' something to do with the video quality based on the line it's going through (in this case the NBN). Well this is obviously silly, because the NBN is fibre, it is digital: not analogue. You either get the signal, or you don't- pretty simple.

2) Well, loosely speaking, but generally false. The underlying inference here is that the 'external' network they are using, in this case the NBN lines, is somehow not up to speed. Well this is a nonsense claim. Each UNI-D point for people who have FTTP (like I do) is capable of 10\100\1000mbps vs the 100mbps that Optus were supposedly offering me.

The fibre network is more than capable of supporting incredible amounts of raw data throughput. The thing that IS in Optus' control is how much of that abundant bandwith they are willing to provision by purchasing the requisite CVC's. In my photo example above, obviously not a lot.

3). In this day an age, is it really worth mentioning home setup? While I do appreciate that there will ALWAYS be people who are pushing very outdated technologies, that this would be mostly a non issue.... example that things are STILL in Optus' control anyway:

a) They directly limit the Android version that are allowed to install their app.

b) Requirements are managed at the point of accessing the player (whether it be their Fetch box or for THEIR player through a browser)- if the device can run these, than it can watch the content, irrespective of the devices capabilities.

### Now- if you look at what IS in their control and how it was implemented, it is appalling.

The player is rubbish- it provides no practical options or information. It does not allow you to choose whether you want to stream content at a particular quality and suffer having to pre-buffer in advance, vs running low quality. It decides for you, and often poorly.

The amount of bandwith they provide to customers is in their control, they need only pay for it, which they aren't.

Frankly, there is very little that is not in their control. Natural disasters breaking the link entirely for a live feed.

...struggling to think of anything else beyond that.

I understand you're trying to be ..grounded and 'realistic'.. that's fair. But the simple case is that of all the things that are not in their control, none of those are the issue. The only things that are actually an issue are the things that ARE in their control.

so: "This isn't to say Optus is the bottle neck here, but they control about 20% of the data chain to your house." no. They ARE the bottleneck, and they have control over 80% of the data stream to your house. The only thing they don't control is the original feed (from the cameras) and the LAN (if any) in the house.

petergdownload

Curiousity suggests an element of open mindedness. Smiley Indifferent

I missed the on demand bit, so yes the vagaries of the WWW don't come into play. The other three still seem things Optus don't control. FWIW fibre is capable of great speeds but if its not working properly then there's not so much Optus can do about it. 

That said, I agree the EPL service appears pretty appaling. Optus appears to have spent millions on getting the rights but don't seem to have considered their ability to distribute it over the network (Executives made the understandable decision that content is the new differentiator but The tech heads just shook them (their heads that is)) The result is the EPL seems to have pretty much disappeared from Oz.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Larico

Well, unfortunately I suppose, I will be re-subscribing to it via an option for my phone.

While 15$/month seems like thievery (same applies to Telstra/Foxtel options for their respective 'premium' services), I really do want to watch it again next season.

And despite the issues with the player- it should at least be more consistent through a properly working connection: even if it is from another provider.

Kek. I AM open minded... but you need to make it convincing- I just wasn't convinced that's all Smiley Wink

petergdownload

If you love your sport, you're the network's whipping boy unfortunately.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
25 Kudos
18 Kudos