Searching...

Re: Dual Band Sagemcom

Shae

@bkwik1972, I've responded to your PM, however we'd already arranged the new delivery of the correct modem before the response came through. I've been able to confirm that it's definitely the correct modem this time, which should be received sometime next week.

[ Edited ]
roblin31

Could you please explain how I can get a dual band modem. With 2 teenage kids, my wife working from home plus myself we have something like 7 computers, 3 smart tvs and 4 smart phones all trying to run off the standard 2.4GHz SAGEM modem.bI have tried to use the TP Link Archer D7 dual band modem to overcome the issue but, despite many efforts and the assistance of the OPTUS help line and (limited) assistance from TP Link it just doesn't work. Consequently, streaming is, at best, very poor and computer bandwidth extremely limited.

Can you help please?

shooterau

Hi you should be able to get a Dual Band Sagemcom 5Ghz from Optus this hopefully will fix your problem go into a Local Optus shop or try Live Chat they should be able to sort it out for you

TommyB

Roblin31, the dual band Sagecom "F@st" modem is okay but nothing to write home about.  Once set up properly it should work just fine but I've found that on 5Ghz the signal strength is not as good as 2.4Ghz.  This is a known phenomenon as 5Ghz can't cast as strong a signal at that wavelength.  The problem is that the Sagecom does not have any external boosting antennas so you may find the signal strength somewhat problematic in a big house.  

The other thing to remember is that to use 5Ghz all your devices must have "AC" band capability and not all do.  You might have to buy new WiFi adapter receivers to make use of the new signal as older PCs, tablets and laptops only have 2.4Ghz adapters.  Avoid the units which don't have an antenna as you want the strongest reception possible.  Also, with some adapters you will have to delve into the advanced settings tab on the device listing in the "Device Manager" part of the Control Panel to enable 5Ghz reception.  If you get stuck just Google the device name and model number and "how to set up 5Ghz" and you'll probably find that someone has uploaded a Youtube video showing how to set things up.  Good luck.

Hannah-L

Hey @roblin31, we have dual band modems available for purchase (or free if recontracting onto our $80 Plan), if you'd like to send me a PM with your full name, DOB and account number I can take a look at your options.

bkwik1972

I've given up tinkering on Sagemcom dual modem.  It doesn't work well.  Keeps disconnecting so I decided to purchase a Netgear Nighthawk X8 Triband Wifi Router, connect the Sagemcom to the Netgear, and made the Netgear as my Access Point.  Works like gem.  Whenever I have visitors staying, and there was like about 13 wifi gadgets on the go, it was performing very well and had no issues.  Only thing I did was restricted a few kids ipads/iphones in the evening byblocking the wifi connection through the Optus ip address.

Been using the Netgear Router for quite a while and hasn't failed me in terms of download speed and surfing the internet.

TommyB

@ bkwik1972

I like this idea.  Did you just disable wifi on the Sagecom and then connect the Netgear with an ethernet cable?  I thought this wasn't possible?

bkwik1972

Hi,

I still have both utlizing the wifi....the guest connects to the Sagemcom, but for my gamings and Fetch TV, I can access it via the Netgear.  The Sagemcom is connected with the yellow cable to Netgar, but like I said, I used the Netgear as the access point.  

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

That should be fine. depending on where you want to place you TP-Link router or how your network is set up.

1. If you are using the TP-link as a router for both Wifi and Wired connections and it is placed near the Optus Modem. Then disable the Wifi on the Optus modem, ethernet cable to the TP-Link Wan/internet port, then use the TP-link for all of your connections. 

2. If it is far away then still connect with the optus modem via a ethernet cable and maybe have 2 wifi going. I find that the more Wifi access points I have the slower the connection and takes little longer for the wifi device to pick a wifi AP.

3. If you are using the Optus for the wired connections and Tp-link for wifi and wired. Then disable the wifi on the Optus modem, disable DHCP on the TP-link, connect via Ethernet cable to the WAN port. This way there is only 1 router on the network, avoiding "double NAT" and everyone can see each other on the network. 

If you need more Wifi coverage aound the house and the TP-link isn't enough to service all the users, then maybe consider a Mesh Network, eg Netgear Orbi, Ubiqity Ampifi, Google Wifi etc. 

Hope that helps.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
89 Kudos
54 Kudos
28 Kudos
20 Kudos
19 Kudos