Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Download speeds on NBN100

I came across this interesting page on Optus average peak download speeds on NBN100 - http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/nbn-speed-packs

Basically, according to Optus, the average peak download speed on Speedpack 4/NBN100 is 75.2 mbps as at 29 October 2017.  I get around 45mbps off-peak and last night only got 25mbps peak.

Can anyone from Optus assist with this?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Download speeds on NBN100

Great to see Optus providing some representative reporting of speeds.

It seems you are getting lower than expected though (which is why these numbers are great. Finally a customer can point to this page and say whats up?

First thing to ask is what technology are you using with the NBN (FTTN? FTTP? HFC?) etc.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply. My technology is FTTN. Just ran an Ookla Speedtest and got 52.27mbps download.

Marcus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

FTTN is the "poor mans" NBN. This is why many people really wanted the fibre to the home for everyone. FTTN can supply 100Mbps but at the moment is often only capable of 50Mbps or 25Mbps. Currently the NBN must only supply 12 Mbps to any given home.

But that seperate from what Optus are promising to provide. If you're paying for more than you're getting then definitely look to drop the speed pack. Unfortunately Optus don't provide a 50Mbps speed pack. So you either get 100Mbps or 25Mbps.

Contact Optus directly (not this forum) and ask them to determine the max likely line speed you can expect (it may currently be 50Mbps). On the nightly slow down to 5Mbps that's another issue and something that has options if you can confirm its a pretty regular thing.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Blog Author

@marcus10, Peter's right on the money there.

FTTN speeds just like DSL are largely determined by the length of copper running between the node and your premises. We'd need to ensure that we've provisioned your service with a speed tier that corresponds with your maximum attainable line speed. As per Peter's link, "Fibre to the Node or Fibre to the Basement customers will have their speed confirmed once the service is activated and if the plan or speed pack chosen can’t be supported by the line, alternative options will be provided."

I'd suggest jumping onto live chat → www.optus.com.au/livechat/pbb and asking the consultant to perform a site qualification via NBN's Network Service and Operation portal. We should be able to provide you with an accurate representation of your maximum line speed. If you run into any issues, let us know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help all - much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @marcus10

Go into your modem (192.168.0.1), select Advanced Settings (bottom left of menu) to see what speed your modem is sync'd up to (top right).  It may be that your copper doesn't allow 100Mbps (mine shows 109000kbps, as I am close to the node), your copper may only get up to a lower speed (e.g. 70Mbps) - this lower speed may be the reason for your top speed.

Also, you need to look at how you are testing your speed.  Do you test over a WiFi network?  How many devices are connected when you are doing the testing?

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

When you say "close to the node" what distance is that?

I'm about 300m away and my speed is 28 & 7.

Is this normal speed for this distance?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There's not a hard and fast rule but generally under 350m should allow 100Gbps on most FTTN set up.

What speed tier are you on at Optus? Sounds like the 100Mbps plan? If you'd like to PM me your address I may be able tell you the expected FTTN speed there (only need the street, not the number)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @ratlice,

I am 182m from the node (136m from pit to main pit, 18m to cross the road to major pit, 4m to pilar, 22m to node + extras).

Unless your modem is trained up to 25/5 (not 100/40) you should expect a higher speed for 300m.  Either the copper is crap or you are not connected to the node that you think you are...

What I don't get is why you were seeing much higher speeds when your modem was only trained to 28Mbps down???  What speed test site did you use?  I have FAST.com has given me unbelievable results (e.g. 184Mbps).

0 Kudos