cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Contributor
Contributor

Does the tech bring a modem for a NBN HFC new connection?

I cancelled order for wireless BB last week, due to delivery issues. If I place an order for my internet to be set up NBN HFC will the Tech who has to connect the internal connection box bring a modem as well or are all orders effected by the delivery issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Delivery

With NBN HFC NBNco supply the modem and so they might not be affected at all.
But you won't be able to get the Optus sagem router, so you probably will not be able to get an active service as Optus seem to require the first connection to be with their supplied router.
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have 2 sagem routers; from my last place which I had to cancel when moving in November. It was NBN connected... I assume I would be able to use them until the other arrived. But wouldn't the optus tech have a sagem router; even if i self serve connect?

OR: what if I ordered in store could I get the router when ordering there???

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

By default signing up to HFC NBN doesn't require a technician appointment from Optus. NBN would come out and hook up their modem and usually Optus would send you the Sagem modem (you can pay for an Optus tech to come out). 

You should be fine to use the Sagem modems you have at home for the time being. Stores don't carry the modems to my knowledge

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I have 2 sagem routers; from my last place which I had to cancel when moving in November. It was NBN connected... I assume I would be able to use them until the other arrived.

If they were either 3864 or 5366 models then I imagine that it would be fine. I'd be surprised if activation was tied to a devices MAC address (i.e. its unique network ID, its like a network device  specific serial number), but that's just my guess. You can try contacting Optus (phone or chat)  and see what they say. 

But wouldn't the optus tech have a sagem router;

I doubt you would be getting an Optus tech visit as they won't be able to get the router either, and it would be a wasted visit without it.

OR: what if I ordered in store could I get the router when ordering there???

Nope, its an Optus wide issue. 

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@SamSam wrote:

By default signing up to HFC NBN doesn't require a technician appointment from Optus.

Neither should an FTTC connection but I got one by default.

and usually Optus would send you the Sagem modem (you can pay for an Optus tech to come out). 

In my case they sent me the router and sent out the tech as well. Mind you, they ended up trying to charge me an "installation fee", but I had no problem reversing it.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Thanks;

The routers are.... 3864V3 OP Routers; One used and another a replacement Still in box.

So, maybe I consider the NBN 50 month to month.... I am too afraid to commit to 4 G wireless, can't get the B818 anyway and don't know how reliable it would be. I move in the next few days and my phone is showing very slow speeds. Doesn't mean the HFC  will be much better.

I'd prefer not to be forced to go to Telstra

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

There is no internal NBN connection box... the last tenant took it

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

There is no internal NBN connection box... the last tenant took it

That is a problem. You should contact the landlord as the NBN connection box belongs to the NBN and must stay at the address that it was installed at.

If the previous tenant does not return it, NBNco, through Optus I believe, will try and charge you for it.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Well that is a problem... I'm buying the house and the previous tenants won't return the box.... they think they paid for it and they own it.

Why don't NBN screw the thing to the wall.

I just spoke with Optus sales and they say, NBN box will be connected and no charge... who do I believe... are you an optus employee?... on chat and phone i'm told no problem box connected and no charge. you say I'll be charged...

The problem with Yes crowd is there is a lot of conflicting advice from people who don't work for optus... I'm just getting confused.

But thanks anyway.

0 Kudos