Searching...

Does my NETWORK ADDRESS change every time my router restarts?

ifxo

My alarm system [NESS I comms app] drops out all the time and requires me to reset the 10 digit number which I get from "whatsmyip.org'

The alarm company says to get a static IP, but I can't find any simple way to do this!

the Optus site seems to have a very complicated work around relating to a residential account but I have a business account

Can anyone help point me in the right direction here?

Re: Does my NETWORK ADDRESS change every time my router restarts?

petergdownload

Optus don't offer a static IP to most customers (business or residential) 

You could consider a ISP that offers a static IP. You could also work out if your alarm will accept a URL as well as an IP address.

A url is www. google.com. This just points to the underlying IP address 143.54.32.11 

Same way your home address (45 Smith Street Brunswick)  just points to a gps coordinate 123.44556", 123.4332"

If you can enter a url into your alarm settings then you can probably get something called a Dynamic DNS. This service gives you a personal url (www.myname.com) and keep it pointing to whatever URL you happen to have.  Try www.dyndns.com

Peter Gillespie

ifxo

Thanks Peter

I don’t physically move the router so the GPS coordinates shouldn’t change or am I not understanding

I looked at all the links you provided and got even more thoroughly confused

Thanks anyway, I appreciate you help

Highlighted

Tris

Depending on your service type, you may be eligible for a static IP @ifxo. Please send me a PM with your full name, account or phone number and DOB. I can check that out on my end 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Hi ixfo,

I'm sorry if my analogy caused confusion. I'll try explain it in better detail.

1) Optus don't offer a static IP. 

2) Some other ISPs do offer a static IP. If its needed search around.

3) A Static IP is just a unique number pointing to a unique computer (same way a GPS coordinate is a unique number pointing to unique physical location)

4) However unlike GPS a standard IP address gets reasigned. (So today the number points to your PC and tomorrow it points to one in Adelaide)

5) So your IP (with Optus) will change periodically.

6) One solution is DYDNS. Here you pay a company to assign a user friendly name to your computer (e.g. www.myacecompter.me.com)

7) This costs a few dollars a month or less.

8) You enter the details for your new account into you modem (under the DYDNS settings)

9) Now every time your modem gets a new IP the comany notes  its.

10) So all you ever have to do is type www.myacecompter.me.com and the correct IP is always found.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
40 Kudos
32 Kudos
25 Kudos
23 Kudos