Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor matt_melbourne
Occasional Contributor

Does Optus provide NBN services?

Hey there - just doing some research for a new internet provider. Does Optus provide NBN as well?

Made in Melbourne.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Optus provide NBN services?

Occasional Contributor

awesome! thanks for answering so quickly 🙂

Made in Melbourne.
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That's ok and might I say the easiest question I have had this week. Smiley Very Happy

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @matt_melbourne

Pretty much all RSPs do the NBN - one of the biggest benefits of the NBN is that high speed connections can be supplied by every telco and not just the biggest two. Once the NBN goes live in your area then the only (wired) way to connect to the internet is via the NBN. Interestingly enough that finally given this freedom of choice over 90% have stuck with the big four, recent NBN subscriber statistics:

nbn.png

What postcode are you in and do you know what NBN tech you have? FTTP? FTTN? etc. Check your address here

Optus offer a good NBN product. In theory the underlying cables are all identical (i.e. the ISP you choose rents the exact same cables from NBNCo to connect you to the internet). In practice two big factors change between ISPs:

1) The amount of bandwidth the ISP buys per customer. When this is not enough you see a dreaded peak hour speed drop each evening as more users try squeeze more data out of a limited amount. Check the "expected peak hour speeds" that all ISPs publish (So on a 50Mbps NBN plan they might say you can expect on average around 43 mbps in peak hour)

2) The entertainment add ons. Optus has focused heavily in this area with a very good home PVR (Fetch TV) that does Netflix and FTA TV very well etc.  Also Optus sports if you're into that. 

Good Hunting

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Hi @petergdownload

Thanks for the detailed response! Fascinating to learn that all of the ISPs use the same underlying infrastructure.

More than answered my question.

Cheers

Made in Melbourne.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yep, NBNCo is the only internet wholesaler now. They own all the cables in Australia (to put it simply). ISPs simply by bandwidth from NBNCo which they in turn sell to us residential customers in the hopes of making a profit. 

Before the NBN Telstra owned all the copper and Telstra/Optus owned all the highspeed HFC cables in inner cities. All other ISPs had to rent access from them (in the case of HFC Telstra and Optus didn't share that at all)

Now Telstra and Optus are just like every other Telco and have to deal with NBN. Interestingly enough there's a bit of a bun fight behind the scenes as NBNCo has set its wholesale price pretty high to make the NBN 'profitable' in a very short period. The Telcos are struggling to make a good margin (or so they say) as they've generally kept prices similar to pre-NBN prices. Somethings got to give eventually and either the government will write down the value of the NBN (allowing it to drop its wholesale prices) or Telcos will put up the cost of plans (buy $10 ro $20 I reckon).

So just some more info you didn't really need Smiley Happy

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor SteveGee
Contributor

SERVICE as in after sales SERVICE

LOL

Good luck mate

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos