Searching...

Does Optus allow 3rd party Void (Modem Router) hardware

leeroy88

I am about to sign up to Optus 70 Plan NBN. 

I need to confirm if Optus allows 3rd party hardware (modem/router) on an HFC connection for the VoIP service.

I thank you in anticpation of your responses.

Highlighted

Re: Does Optus allow 3rd party Void (Modem Router) hardware

SamSam

No, they don't.

There are threads on Whirlpool that detail how to work around it but the official answer from Optus is no so you wouldn't get any support if things went wrong. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Davelew

Hi

@SamSam is correct but many people do connect a router to the Optus modem. So you have the phone into the optus modem and then you can manage settings etc on your own router.

I have a Orbi mesh router and satellite connected so I can manage my own DNS addresses and get good wifi connection throughout the house with my house phone connected to the optus modem. Other use Google routers and I now see Kogan have their own mesh system.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
newline

@leeroy88. If it is an NBN HFC service, NBNCo provides the modem. The Optus F@ST3864 is connectd to the modem via its WAN port; it is used as a router, only. If you require a phone service, you must use the Optus router. If you don't, you can use any, third-party router.

If it's an Optus HFC (cable) service, Optus provide  the modem. Otherwise it's the same (as above).

Edit: what @Davelew has suggested is probably the best workaround.

leeroy88

Thank you for your response Sam Sam.

Previously I had an on-line chat with an Optus Sales Rep and he advised that I can use a 3rd party Modem/Router but I guss he is incorrect. I am sure your are correct that Optus do not allow 3rd party modem/router for VoIP phone.

It's a shame, I was about to purchase the Billion BiPAC-8700VAX-1600.

Anyway, How is the Optus supplied Modem/Router?

leeroy88

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response with an alternative to connect to a router.

Actually I prefer the Billion -BiPAC-8700VAX-1600 but Optus do not allow it.

leeroy88

Thank you for your response newline.

My NBN is HFC. I need to use VoIP from the router. So Optus will provide router Optus F@ST3864, and I have to use it. I believe it is encrypted, and settings are locked out.

Your post

"The Optus F@ST3864 is connectd to the modem via its WAN port; it is used as a router, only. If you require a phone service, you must use the Optus router. If you don't, you can use any, third-party router"

Can I use a third party router and setup my private VoIP?

How is the Optus router with regards to speed and performanace?

Thanks

[ Edited ]
newline

@leeroy88. If you have Optus as your VOIP provider, you must use the F@ST3864. If you have a third-party VOIP account, you can still use that account. However, you will need either a separate VOIP phone (e.g. Gigaset) or an ATA (e.g. Cisco SPA) into which you connect a standard phone (your VOIP provider probably sells one or both). The VOIP phone or ATA connects to a LAN port of the router.

If you want better WiFi coverage than the 3864, the Davelew suggestion is a good one. I may be a rarity in that my 3864AC and 3864AC V3 have excellent WiFi coverage; I use it for all my connected devices - PC, cellphone, Fetch TV, smart TV, LAN printer (not a heavy user in terms of connected devices) - and my new neighbours connected to it for 10 days while waiting to be connected to the NBN.

Edit: I believe there will be no problem in using your own VOIP router if you have a non-Optus VOIP account.

leeroy88

The Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864 has bad Product Reviews

See link:

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/sagemcom-f-st-3864ac

This would deter me from Optus. Aussie Broadband allows to use 3rd party modem/router and 3rd party VoIP service.

newline

Hope I'm clearer. If you have a 3rd party VOIP service, you can use any VOIP router with an Optus NBN HFC service. So, your preferred Billion will be fine.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
73 Kudos
31 Kudos
29 Kudos
27 Kudos
20 Kudos