cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor rktyp
New Contributor

Do you get a free dual band modem if you upgrade to the fastest speed pack?

Currently I'm on the 25/5 Mbps NBN plan. I received a 'Sagemcom F@ST3864V2' modem when I had the NBN installed, and it only supports 802.11n @ 2.4Ghz. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that is sufficient to support 100Mbps download speed.

So do you get sent out a 5Ghz dual band modem if you get the 100/40 speed pack, or you have to buy your own?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you get a free dual band modem if you upgrade to the fastest speed pack?

I think you will be lucky to get 100. Why don't you check that out first.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure why they didn't give you a dual band modem when you signed up.  If you're on NBN you have the right to request the Sagecom dual band modem which handles 5Ghz.  Just be aware that 5Ghz can be a pain to set up, does not send as strong a WiFi signal as wireless "n" and requires that all your PCs have a dual band WiFi dongle or card.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Breytac
Occasional Contributor

To answer your question, no you won't get a new modem (I don't work for Optus btw). All you are doing is upgrading the speed at which you can download and upload to and from the internet. Connecting a device to wirelessly to the modem has nothing to do with internet speeds. 2.4ghz is the frequency at which a device connects to the modem. Devices connected wirelessly will only ever download at the max speed your connection is capable of. So if your connection is downloading at 20Mbps, so is the device. Also note that speeds vary from location to location depending on how your premises is connected to the node, time of the day and various other factors. My max speed is 25/5, but I've seen as low as 17 down, and that was the night after I was connected

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @rktyp, the V2 modem is dual-band. Are you able to see the 5GHz SSID when you scan for nearby WiFi networks? What about when you log into the modem's firmware?

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Not sure if the black F@ast 3864 modem has dual band. The F@st 3864Ac definately has it. We switched over from Optus Cable to HFC Nbn and was able to the White F@st 3864AC with the deal. I think if you add the speed boost then you would need to pay for the new modem. Another option is to by you own 5GHz AC router. I pickup a used one from Gumtree the other day, Asus EA-AC87 from $60. It is a dedicated 5GHz router/AP giving me 4x4 AC MU-MINO, would be faster and able to handle more devices than then Optus supplied modem. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Just did a Speedtest, using wireless N 2.4Ghz and got 87 dl and 37ul. So I think the f@st 3864 modem will get you close or at to the nbn100 speed.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator

Just to clarfiy, @SillyGogo - the black Sagemcom F@st3864 is an AC WiFi modem, the white Sagemcom F@st3864 is Wireless-N. There are only 2 models. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Hehehehehe, got my colours around the wrong way. Must be really late or on my second drink.

Hi Hannah, thank you for the clarification, above should read " not sure if the White F@st 3864". I assumed the distintion in the model number is the AC at the end of the model number. I think I will use the white and black modem in the future. Not sure if that is polotically correct in 2017. 

Also,  I should clarify that the speed test I did was via a ubiqiti unifi uap-pro on the wireless N 2.4ghz band achieving close to 100Mbps. So in theory the optus sagem white modem on the wireless N 2.4ghz should be able to achieve close to the 100Mbps speed.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator

@SillyGogo That was my experience with the white Sagemcom model too. I switched to the AC model for pre-release testing purposes last year. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Top Contributors