cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Do I need a username & password for NBN??

@Dan_C 

Its definitely a mixed bag. Several RSPs are happy with BYO modem and provide the SIP details (ABB for example) and I suspect the Optus support model is trying to ensure as much as possible all customers are on a uniform technology base (which isn't a bad strategy). 

@ConfusedJen

To get Optus VOIP on FTTN you must use the Optus modem. Once activated though you should be able to plug in another modem and get your login details from Optus (those details are usually printed on the base of the optus modem?). You will however only get internet and not VOIP. You could try this to see if the other modem helps with drop outs (FTTN NBN is fairly dodgy so its possble the issue is with the NBN and not the modem.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Well dynamic IP's are provisioned by default. Ipoe is an Internet Protocol over Ethernet used s a method of delivering an IP payload over an Ethernet-based access network or an access network using bridged Ethernet.

Have you plugged the Optus supplied router in, before attempting to connect your own BYO router? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@petergdownload, am I on the right track with this one? 

Any other guys have some advice? @Unchained_Pat, @SamSam 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
ConfusedJen
Contributor
Contributor

@Dan_C  @petergdownload I'm not looking to get VoIP just the internet. I've been using the Sagem that was supplied but want to change to my TP-Link without VoIP.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

@petergdownIoad, is the primary issue the customers ability to use VOIP On their BYO modem (which is a valid question in itself) or simply trying to configure their BYO modem for access to the Optus Network? 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Dan_C

Big fan of advice by others. I think I muddied the waters with the VOIP discussion. If @ConfusedJen just wants to log into Optus internet then it should require:

1) Login in once with the Optus modem

2) Then unplug the optus modem and install the new modem 

The only question is the login credentials needed which she should be able to get from any Optus CS?

Peter Gillespie

Unchained_Pat
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

From my understanding it was all iPoE

No username or password at all

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

My thoughts exactly @petergdownload @Paddlee

Unless she has PPPOE set by default? Hence the prompt for the ISP username and password. 

0 Kudos
pwright
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Confused Jen, have you tried the Quick Setup Guide per the Manual? on Pages 17/18 located here https://static.tp-link.com/1910012217_Archer%20VR600(b)(EU)(AU)_V2_UG.pdf

On the Page 18, screenshot, where you see PPPoE in the Middle of the Page, make you select the Drop Down and Select Dynamic IP (another word for IPoE).  I'm using a different TPLink, and mines called Dymanic IP and works fine on an IPOE connection.

Hopefully works for you fingers crossed 🙂

Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Great @pwright, that's exactly where I was going.

Thanks for the vote of confidence haha. 

0 Kudos