Searching...

Re: Do I need a username & password for NBN??

Newie2299

Hi Dan, 

I'm at work now but will try hopefully tomorrow and I'll let you know how I go. 

Thanks for the info. 

Ethan 

ConfusedJen

It’s very frustrating but once I finally got it going I’ve had far less drop outs. Speed is still crap at 9 mbps when I’m paying for at least 40

Newie2299

Hey there, 

It sure is a frustrating situation. I just wish optus would be more open with setting up our own modems. I don't think it's too much to ask for really. As for speed, I think it's a lottery of what you may get. Thankfully I get about 47mbs on my fttn. I just don't understand why they just don't give us fttn customers the Max our line will give for one low price since fttn does cap out the further away we get from the box. Don't even get me started on mobile internet. It's abissmal in places around Newcastle where I live. Hoping to get some questions answered through private messaging which is like extracting teeth at times. Dan C is amazing though. I have to give 2 thumbs up to that guy. But that's a different thread.

Will post back once I've tried on my modem. 

Actually just one more question. Did your modem get sinc before you changed the settings? Mine tries but doesn't. Would be interesting to know.

Thanks

Ethan 

petergdownload

@Newie2299,

Glad to here you NBN is working as expected (usually only get the complaints)

Interesting idea the 'max possible' plan but IMO there's a few reasons for it (some of benefit to the end user) MyRepublic offers a single "Max Possible" plan so they do exist.

However in the past the Telcos have offered only "Max Possible" ADSL plans which has meant they've been able to get away with providing really bad speeds to many households and still charge the same flat ADSL rate across the board. The NBN tiers mean they are now legally obligated to hit the speed nominated (as the ACCC has been at pains to point out and we've seen a big improvement in all Telcos finally providing what they promise)

Also many (most) FTTN plans are capable of 50-100Mbps so any Telco offering "Max possible" would need to be buying enough bandwidth at these speeds to handle all that ahead of time - and each extra Mbps purchased directly costs the Telco. So I think the NBNCo has sort of set the pricing structure here rather than Optus.

Agree @Dan_C does often go the extra mile

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Newie2299

Hi guys, 

Sorry for the late reply but work and life got in the way.

I have tried using the method you suggested Peter and still it refuses to connect. 

It will say line status initialising and dsl modulation type obtaining. I do have the modem set to vdsl2 and have set it to dynamic ip ipoe.

It tries to connect like it has always then goes back to disconnected in the line status. I want to throw it against a wall. 

It's a tplink n600. 

I've also factory reset and followed through the quick set-up. It goes through all checks and says everything is good. 

I'm not a real techie so am struggling to find a solution. 

I don't want to bridge from optus modem. I just want to use my own for internet. 

If I plug the optus modem in it will connect shortly after with no hassles. So the line is fine and internet is working. 

Please help before I lose all my wits. 

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. 

Ethan

Highlighted

Tano

@Newie2299:

It will say line status initialising and dsl modulation type obtaining. I do have the modem set to vdsl2 and have set it to dynamic ip ipoe.It tries to connect like it has always then goes back to disconnected in the line status.

Sorry if this seems trivial, but I'm right to assume you mean that in Network->DSL Settings, VDSL2 is selected? I'm a bit stumped on this one Smiley Sad Maybe @Dan_C has more insight.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

kezza350
Hi, NO you do not need a username or password, i have just connected my new TP-Link VR600, TO NBN FTTN, I done a reset and all you need to do is wait for a couple of minutes, and your router will connect, if not then log into the router and click basic settings, check that operation mode is on DSL modem router, then enter advanced mode network, DSL Settings and make sure DSL Modulation Type is on Auto sync-up, next Annex Type is set to Annex A/L save these steps and you will connect, make sure your phone line is in the DSL port, if that does not work go through the quick setup link, Hope this is helpull cheers.
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
112 Kudos
41 Kudos
31 Kudos
18 Kudos
15 Kudos