Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Do I need a username & password for NBN??

[ Edited ]
ConfusedJen

I am trying to set up my TP-LINK VR600 modem/ router on my NBN FTTN connection. I’ve been using the supplied Sagem modem but it’s dropping out a LOT. The TP-LINK set up wizard asks for the SSID and password for the modem and the ISP username and password. I used live chat and the tech said I don’t need the Optus username and password because it’s NBN. He said just connect it, reset it to factory settings and it will work. But it’s not. Does anyone know what I should be doing?? Thanks for reading. 

Re: Do I need a username & password for NBN??

Dan_C

Are you attempting to bridge the new TP-LINK modem to the Sagemcom modem or were you plugging the TP-LINK modem directly into the wall socket? 

We have a couple of handy guides put together by members of our community:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Can-I-use-my-BYO-MODEM-on-the-NBN/ta-p/202224

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/BYO-Router-with-Optus-NBN-VoIP/ta-p/140974

Let us know if that's of any assistance. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Out of interest, why does Optus refuse to provide its customers VOIP details on request?

Many other RSPs do this so it doesn't seem to be a significant technical or security issue?

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

I wish I could provide an in depth explanation. 

It does come up quite a bit, I'm happy to reach out to the area of the business that's implemented this rule. It'd be great to be able to offer a more in-depth logical response other than the generic reasoning we've been using. 

The reasoning we're given has always been security. It might be an idea for a WIKI considering the number of times that sort of query pops up on the forum. As far as other ISP"s are concerned, are they freely offering out SIP details to their customers? I haven't done a huge amount of research on the topic. 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

ConfusedJen

@Dan_C I am NOT bridging just plugging the TP-LINK directly into the wall socket. I know this means I can’t use VoIP but that’s ok. I just want a more stable connection that doesn’t drop out 50 times a day and to be in control of DNS so I can use my Getflix service. 

Dan_C

That's fair, depending on the firmware, manually configuration is limited.

You can always change your DNS settings on the one device i.e. Laptop. But if you're wanting all traffic routed through your DNS over WiFi, then a BYO modem is your best bet. 

ConfusedJen

Yes. It would be if I could get it to connect. From what I've been told by the Tech on Live Chat and on Whirlpool it should be virtually plug & play so to speak but it's not working.

Dan_C

Are you given the Option to set up a Configured WAN Connection Type? 

Are you able to suss that out for me and see whether you're given the option to set up PPPOE or iPOE? 

iPoe does not require Optus login details. It might be a good idea to see if PPPOE has been set up by default. 

ConfusedJen

I can only find PPPoE I haven't found IPoE but I'm told it should be there.

ConfusedJen

Is it the same as Dymanic IP ?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
106 Kudos
39 Kudos
32 Kudos
13 Kudos
12 Kudos