cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor John61
Occasional Contributor

Re: Do I have to switch to NBN

You can get a fixed line via the NBN HFC service. We have had this with Optus for some time and now with NBN.

0 Kudos
Contributor possie
Contributor

Thanks John61. Early this morning I found an old pdf from NBN that listed what you need to do etc - and I realised then that I probably wouldn't have to get a whole new alarm system - just have it rewired to the new "landline".   Then your post confirmed that.

I did go into Optus store near us today and was told it was a "typo" and should have said 2017.  I guess I will find out mid October!  If we weren't planning on moving early next year I would go ahead anyway - but there are too many incremental costs - alarm re-wiring, two additional phone sockets rewired (could probably not do those), and an installation cost since we can't sign up for an 18 month or 2 year contract.

0 Kudos
Contributor possie
Contributor

I called Optus and it was confirmed that the letter was sent by mistake to a large number of people.  An apology letter will be coming out.  Despite the reprieve on the need to upgrade now - and my earlier misgivings, the sales rep I spoke to answered all my objections, allayed my fears and I ended up signing up anyway.  It will be costing me less per month for what should be a faster speed and an updated Fetch box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @possie, that's great to hear. Please let us know if there's anything we can assist with during the activation process. 🙂

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Sewings
Occasional Contributor

Yes I recieved a letter last week to say that the ADSL would be terminated in my street in Nov 2017. ADSL works just fine (can stream Neflixs on two devices) and I rarely have speed issues. Off to a bad start where my online NBN application doesn't match the contract they sent out. Following the online application which took me 30mins to read various plans and complete I recieved a phone call some days later to go through the whole sorry detail once again for another 20mins. The dreadful racket in the call centre plus poor English meant the online detail was impossible to confirm and so components didn't make it into the contract.  Latest is these will have to be added post installation, and after another call to OPTUS.  

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor sjt
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jordan,

I am a long term Optus Cable user wanting to leave NBN as long as possible given many on Optus in my area are having a nightmare. I got the first Optus letter in May/June this year telling me I had 18mths to switch to NBN. Now I've had 3 letters over last 2mths telling me I only have until 9th November to switch or my internet & phone line will be turned off. I want to know what happened to the 18mths switch over time that you also refer to in your reply here?? Is it correct that I must switch by 9th Nov which was approx 7mths from being told NBN available in my area? Thank you

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Tano
RetiredModerator

Hi @sjt, the project in the area may have moved forward and ahead of schedule. Best reach out to the NBN team on Live Chat to have them look at this for you and offer further clarification.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, I'll check.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

How'd you go @sjt? Have you received any word on your scheduled NBN serviceability date? We're always happy to perform a couple of checks from our end. Feel free to send us a PM with your complete address. If you could also include your full name, DOB and account number; that'd be great. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi DanC,

So far - I contacted Optus Chat & they told me that I have to switch to NBN by 9th November or my phone & internet will be cut off. The official line from NBN & also given to the person who lives in the flat at the back of my house from her Telstra provider is that "the NBN is available here now, however you do not have to migrate over until 10th February 2019". I don't like being misled in any way or manipulated & if Optus have misled me in a letter then I will be very unhappy and make a formal complaint.

I also explained to Optus that I was extremely unhappy as I now pay $89.99 per month for my landline & internet cable bundle with unlimited everything (local, national, calls to mobiles, calls to major countries) and with free Premium Speed Pack (which gives up to 100mbps). To get the exact same service under NBN I would have to pay $80+$20 ( for same unlimited calls $5+$5+$10) + $20 speed boost to allegedly get up to 100mbps.

So under NBN with Optus I am asked to pay an extra $30pm ($360 per yr) for the same service I now get. Optus Chat said 'they are the only plans we offer'.

I watched the very interesting 4 Corners on ABC this week on NBN - what a disaster!

Can you please tell me how to send you a pm with my details as I can't work out how. Find this forum interface a bit clunky & unfamiliar.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos