Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor John61
Occasional Contributor

Do I have to switch to NBN

Hi All

We have just been told that NBN is available in our street. We are currently connected to Optus Cable Internet. We are generally happy with this service, it is pretty reliable and the speed is OK, we sometimes even get close to the 100Mbps premium speed although it usually varies between 5 and 25 Mbps.

My question is: Do we have to change to NBN? i.e. Will Optus be shutting down their service in the future.

We have both the Telstra (Foxtel) cable and the Optus cable strung on the poles in the street and actually have Foxtel from the Telstra cable and internet from the Optus cable. I don't know which cable that NBN prpose to connect their service with. ( I hope they are not using the the ratty, ancient copper pair network in the area!! )

Anyway, hopefully someone can shed some light on this. 

Thanks

John61

20 Replies
RetiredModerator JordanOptus
RetiredModerator

Re: Do I have to switch to NBN

Hey John61, you will eventually have to switch to the NBN.

Once you've heard that you can get NBN in your area, you've got 18 months to switch over to it before the previous network is switched off.

Hope this helps a bit. You can chat with out Sales crew here.

Cheers,

Jordan

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jordan

Is the 18 months an Optus decided time, or is it something that was mandated by NBN?

Is it likely to change?

Cheers

John61

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

That's NBN rules, not Optus.

And you'll likely find NBN will be through the Telstra Cable infrastructure btw. NBN bought both Telstra and Optus cable networks but found Optus' was to old and poorly maintained that they won't use it at all. You might end up changing to fibre to the curb instead but I'd say it'll be NBNHFC (HFC is cable). 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator JordanOptus
RetiredModerator

No worries John61.

The 18 month time frame was implemented by the government and I honestly wouldn't be sure if that's going to change.

Cheers,

Jordan

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

By pure coincidence I got home this evening to find a letter from optus telling me I have 90 days to switch to NBN as they will be disconnecting the service on 3rd of October.

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I think 1 of 2 things has happened here. Either NBN has been around for longer then you've known (about 15 months given Optus' letter) or Optus have sent you the letter incorrectly or you've misinterpretted it. 

I don't think Optus can disconnect you before the 18 months is up but I have heard they can force migrate you to the NBN. This is what I mean by misinterpret. 

If it's definitely a disconnect letter, then the only reason you should be receiving it is because you've had NBN available for about 15 months so you're coming clsoe to the 18 month threshold. Put your address into the below link and click "check home". When I do mine, there's a red message that says:

"Most of the existing landline network in your area was scheduled to be switched off on 01/04/2017*"

I would say yours will say something similar but with a future date (I've had NBN for a while). If it does, it means somehow you missed the communication or it never got to you. 

http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address.html

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No, NBN has not been around in my street for longer than I thought. By their own checker it was not available in April this year. In May we started getting letters from various ISPs saying NBN would be available on the 9th of June and presenting their offerings. Then we got a letter sometime in June from NBN saying it was now available. The letter from Optus is pretty unambiguous and states that their cable service will cease on 3 October. I don't see a way to attach a scan of it but happy to send you one if you can suggest a way.

Its not really a problem except that Optus has no NBN offering that matches what we have now. Surprisingly Telstra does, so I guess we are off to them.

Sad really, because by and large we have been happy with Optus since we switched from Telstra about 5-6 years ago.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Sorry I found some more info, you're spot on the money but Optus is still within their rights to kick you off to. Take a look at this article. Specifically, this part:

"When the NBN opted to scrap the Optus cable network and only incorporate the Telstra cable network into the new national broadband network, Optus began to shut down its cable network in suburbs as soon as the NBN arrived – ignoring the NBN's objections and pointing to the Optus cable user agreement which permits Optus to terminate the service."

and 

" If they missed the cut-off date they would permanently lose their home phone number and need to wait 20 days for their phone and internet access to be reconnected."

and

"The calls come before those customers have received a "Ready For Service" letter from the NBN indicating they can sign up with their internet service provider of choice."

So basically the 3 main points are:

• Optus are within their rights to do this
  • If you don't switch, you could lose your home phone number. Even if you do, this might still be the case because of the type of technology you're using but this might not even be important
  • You have a choice of ISP's, don't let Optus talk you into staying if you don't want to

Either way, sounds like you've looked at some plans online. If you want, let me know what plan you have and I'll see if Optus has one that's compareable otherwise good luck with Telstra, hopefully it's a smooth transition. Also, doesn't hurt to give Optus a call to see if they'll offer a discount on advertised plans to keep you, especially if you find one that Telstra has that beats them in price. 

0 Kudos
Contributor possie
Contributor

I've just received a letter from Optus saying that I haven't called them to switch to NBN and that they will be turning off my phone/internet in October so I had better do it. However NBN says the switchoff isn't till September/October next year. I have ADSL2 internet with Optus not Cable so I am surprised to see this information.  Since changing to NBN will mean I need to replace our monitored alarm system that requires a landline, I wasn't in a hurry to do this.   I wonder if there is a clause in their agreement on ADSL2 that allows them to do this as was pointed out in your post they can for Cable.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors