cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

pdjhh2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Do I have to have a telephone number on my nbn connection

The Optus shop said we have to have a phone number on the account but we want our inbound number on a different SIP provider. What is the solution here? Can we have a dummy number on our nbn connection if needed and port the main number away?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tina_YC

Re: Do I have to have a telephone number on my nbn connection

Hey @pdjhh2, thanks for getting in touch with us. 

Phone plans are optional and only available when bundling with an eligible Fixed Broadband plan. What kind of NBN connection do you have? 

We have a handy NBN Critical information summary that you can read over. Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If your intent is to use the phone ports on the back of the Sagemcom with a 3rd party provider you won't be able to do so.
Note also that there is a possibility, though I think its small, that you may have issues with using 3rd VoIP behind the Sagemcom.
0 Kudos
pdjhh2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the response. Not going to put any kind of phone straight into the router but ip phones on the internetal network via a network switch. Shouldn't be a problemm unless optus are actively trying to block sip traffic?

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@pdjhh2 wrote:

Shouldn't be a problemm unless optus are actively trying to block sip traffic?

While not actively blocking it (as far as I know), the Sagemcom has an inbuilt ATA so it might be potentially interfere.

0 Kudos
pdjhh2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Have used many routers with ATA inside and not had any problems yet. Will keep it in mind though. Hope there are no problems because Optus customer support is utterly diabolical!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors