Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
acrowau
Contributor
Contributor

Do I, Don't I change NBN Plan?

Ok, I’m in a dilemma on which way to go – stay with what I have or ‘upgrade’ to another plan so to get the newest modem (Optus Ultra WIFI).

Currently, I am on an NBN home $80 plan (contract has finished and now just going monthly), so no penalties to pay.

This includes-

Modem (Sagemcom Gateway F@st  3864AC) Unlimited data, Phone Lite ($0), Fetch Mighty (with 1 premium channel), Optus Sport.

So if I ‘upgraded’ to the ‘Entertainment’ plan @ $90p/mth (month by month plan), not only do I pay $10 extra p/mth, I also have to pay for the modem @ $252 (total extra $612 … unless the $252 is refunded in the 37th month account?)

If I stay for 36 months, I still pay $10 extra p/month and $0 for the modem (total extra $360).

My thinking is, why don’t  I just stay on what I have and save $10 p/mth etc and purchase outright the Ultra WIFI modem for $252.

Or, if I did their $79 p/mth and receive the Ultra WIFI modem and the Fetch Mini, would I still be able to keep the Fetch Mighty?

I’m starting to confuse myself now lol

Thanks for any input.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Vin_YC

Re: Do I, Don't I change NBN Plan?

Hi @acrowau, it sounds like you're at two minds on which way to go so I'd highly recommend speaking to our friendly Sales team who will be able to run through he plans with you and provide some advice on the best package to suit your needs.

You can reach them on a smart device via our Messaging service on the My Optus app 24/7.

Alternatively, they can also be reached on 1800 200 123. They are available 8am to 9pm Mon – Fri, 9am – 6pm Weekends AEST.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@acrowau wrote:

So if I ‘upgraded’ to the ‘Entertainment’ plan @ $90p/mth (month by month plan), not only do I pay $10 extra p/mth, I also have to pay for the modem @ $252 (total extra $612 … unless the $252 is refunded in the 37th month account?)

You pay $0 up for the modem and this is how they explain it:

You will see a monthly $7.00 charge and corresponding $7.00 credit each month on your bill (as Optus will cover the $252 modem cost over 36 months). If you decide to cancel your broadband plan within 36 month of signing up, you will need to pay out the remaining cost of your modem (i.e. $7 times the number of remaining months).   

After 36 months of connection, you’ll no longer see a charge or credit on your monthly Optus bill. If you cancel before 36 months, the remaining cost of your modem will appear on your last Optus bill.  

My thinking is, why don’t  I just stay on what I have and save $10 p/mth etc and purchase outright the Ultra WIFI modem for $252.

This is not an Option as they will not sell you Ultra separately. You get it with the new plans or you just can't get it.

Is there any reason you want the Ultra specifically? Is it primarily for the 4G backup?

0 Kudos
acrowau
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @YetAnotherAcc 

oh ok.  I read the 'If you remain connected for 1 month only' as full payment (month by month) until I reached 36 months - but see what you mean now.

This is not an Option as they will not sell you Ultra separately.

I thought they did - so stand corrected.

Is there any reason you want the Ultra specifically? Is it primarily for the 4G backup?

The only reason would be (& hopefully) a better WIFI strength.  I currently get a lot of lagging to a WIFI laptop (for netflix mainly) which is located in another room about 15 mts away.  Admittedly there are walls it has to contend with, so hoping a 'better' wifi modem would help.

Not worried about the 4G backup (don't understand it really lol).

0 Kudos
acrowau
Contributor
Contributor

@Vin_YC  maybe, but I'll see what comes up here first.

0 Kudos
Vin_YC

It may be possible to use wifi range extenders with the existing modem, unfortunately, we can't guarantee it's effectiveness. 

We do recommend these D-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extenders for use with our products.  According to our website, the product may have been superseded by a newer model.  I'd recommend a google search to find the latest model.

May I also suggest taking a look at the "7 Ways to Optimise Your WiFi Connection on the nbn" page for steps on how to get the best wifi signal to your devices.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I thought they did - so stand corrected.

I haven't heard anything new to intricate that they have started to allow it to be sold separately.  I'd be extremely surprised if they do.

The only reason would be (& hopefully) a better WIFI strength. .

Everything I've read indicated that the Ultra & the 5366TN (essentially the same as the Ultra just without 4G backup) have much better wifi than the 3864's. You can pick up second-hand almost new 5366TN from ebay/gumtree for under $50.

Not worried about the 4G backup (don't understand it really lol).

4G backup allows you to still use the internet (albeit at a much slower speed) if the main NBN line goes down.

Do you currently use the Optus land line at all?

Also what type of NBN connection do you have (FTTN, FTTC etc.)?

0 Kudos
acrowau
Contributor
Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc 

Everything I've read indicated that the Ultra & the 5366TN (essentially the same as the Ultra just without 4G backup) have much better wifi than the 3864's. You can pick up second-hand almost new 5366TN from ebay/gumtree for under $50.

I should probably look into that, as the 4G back up does not bother me. If the 4G goes down, it goes down - no problem my end lol

Do you currently use the Optus land line at all?

Very very rarely - have mobiles that cover that side of things. Only have a landline as $0 cost (included lite option).

Also what type of NBN connection do you have (FTTN, FTTC etc.)?

That I'm not sure how to check - have looked through the 162..... site but nothing shows FTTx info.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

To find out what type of NBN connection you have just go here and type in your address. The connection type will be under Technology used in your connection.

acrowau
Contributor
Contributor

doh! I did look there and didn't see it.

FTTP

0 Kudos