cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor josh88
Occasional Contributor

Re: Disgraceful NBN Speeds

Optus can only provide me 50mb/s as the highest speed in my area. Maybe it's the 100 pack I have purchased but on my paperwork and bill it states 50mb/s.

I was getting 45 provided to the router when I joined, Now that has conveniently been dropped to 30.

I've tried all i can my end. I now need optus to actually do something to take my issue seriously and give me an honest answer.

No more line works or maintenance crap. I have tried having the 1 device connected but u less its a computer the speed will be far below what the router is actually being supplied.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@josh88

A bit jumbled. Are you on FTTN? Currently Optus will rate your line and tell you the max speed. Sounds like its 50Mbps? 

Optus only offer three plans - 12Mbps. 25Mbps and 100Mbps. You can pay for the 100 but it will be knowing 50 is the top you will get.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor josh88
Occasional Contributor

FTTN is correct. And yes 50mb/s is the max for my area. So as you have mentioned i am on the 100mb/s but capped at 50mb/s for my area. The point is, i could get close to that in the first week of joining, even though it was only if i used one device. 

Now the max i get is 30mb/s using one device, the same device. Any other devices are lucky to get 3 mb/s

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@josh88

50 rated max still leaves variation to households. Have Optus checked your line and given you an individual rating (possibly something like 30Mbps?) Unless you're getting 50 Mbps at times useful to you I'd suggest dropping the 100Mbps pack and saving the $20 for the time being.

The 3Mbps on subsequent devices is unusual. Normally that indicates some seup issue in your home (using slower wifi?). The NBN delivers a set speed (say 30Mbps to your house and its up to your household equipment to divy that up). That said, there was one other recent case here where each device added to the home got an additional 2.97 Mbps exactly. They could keep plugging in more devices and getting the speed but each device was apparently capped. 

Obvious thoughts were to check QOS settings in the modem if any? But I'm not sure a solution was found. Try seeing if the same capping is happening to you perhaps.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos