Searching...

Disgraceful NBN Speeds

josh88

I have recently signed uo to NBN and have had nothing but trouble! I have joned on the highest speed tier for my area and can only get one device with up to 40MB/S. (Laptop or computer) Any other device that is connected will get speeds as low as 130kb/s - the 4MB/S max!! I only have 4 deives max conected at a time. (Phones, PS4 and a smart tv)

Tell me how this is value for money!?? Every time i call Optus they just suggest i reboot the router and have no idea how to help or just seem disinterested in helping and try to fob me off. They even tried to tell me i have maintenance in my area..on a Saturday night (Peak time). So tell me why one device still gets 40MB/s while the rest get crap all if there is maintenance??

Also i can not connect to my routers 5GHz SSID. Every attempt fails and tells me the signal may be too weak. That's if the option is even available to try and connect to. Have they stuffed up my connectoin, sent me a crappy router or do they just not give a crap? How do i get in touch with someone that knows what they are doing and can fix the issue? Not paying $100 a month to only have one device able ot be connected.

Re: Disgraceful NBN Speeds

petergdownload

The NBN sends all its bandwidth to your front door. From that point how it is split up between devices is based on your equipment and setup etc. If one device can get 40Mbps then this bandwidth is shared when another device is added (and since usually both devices aren't pulling down reams of data then both ostentiably work at 40Mbps. Worst case they both work at 20Mbps (sharing the bandwidth)

I assume you're using wifi for most of these devices? FIrst test with them plugged in if possible. 

The issues you report with the 5Ghz suggests you may have issues with a faulty modem or the setup of that modem. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

josh88

Thanks Peter. I will give that a go. The odd thing is though, even with the laptop turned completely off the other coneections do not get a higher speed at all. Certain times of the day seem to be worse then others too.

TommyB

If the speeds drop dramatically in the evening from 7ish to about 11pm then the slowdown may be due to bandwidth congestion.  There are lots of people on the NBN suffering with slowdowns in the evenings caused by insufficient bandwidth purchased by their ISPs once the NBN goes live in an area...me included.  

As to your 5Ghz output...  The 5Ghz signal ("AC") is not as strong as the 2.4 wireless "N" alternative, sadly.  This is due to the wavelength and the physics involved.  The AC signal does provide much greater possible speeds (almost up to the speed of a tethered connection) but the tradoff is the poor signal.  

Do the tests that Peter suggested and also see if moving closer to the router with a wireless device improves the signal.  There are ways to improve the signal from the router using reflectors (search Youtube) but if the modem/router is faulty then you need to ask for a replacement.

petergdownload

@josh88

You have two sperate issues IMO.

1. The seeming max of 40Mbps to you house and the further drop at certain times of the day.

This is likely down to the NBNCo and/or Optus and can be looked at - Do you have FTTN NBN? IN some areas this is maxed out at around 50Mbps so 40Mbps might be reasonable - you'd need to contact Optus directly and ask them to do a check on your expected max line speed (they should be able to do that on the spot.

2. The distribution of that 40Mbps around the house.

As I said, that's generally on your setup. Speed tests while the equipment is directly plugged in should help diagnostics.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Tano

Hey @josh88, what sort of results did you get with a speed test as per Peter's suggestion? It sounds like it could be an individual networking issue related to your setup. Speeds of 40Mbps limited to one device and such a large gap between that and other devices may well signal a setup or modem issue, but this is something we'd need to investigate in order to diagnose. You can reach out to the tech team here or on 131344 if you're still having issues. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
josh88

Unfortunately the Cable does not seem to help.

Each time i speak with tech support i am told there is maintenance or line work in my area. If that is the case why is this done during peak times?

To top that off i am now only being provided 30mb/s when i log in to the Routers homepage using the 192.168.0.1 ip. So is that another issue altogether now or has optus stopped providing me the 45 - 50mb/s speed pack i am paying for? 

All speed tests, no matter what time of the day, come back at 30mb/s max on one device and a lot less on any others. Don't get me wrong, 30 is not bad but i was getting what i paid for when i first joined up. Just not during Peak times.

Also to be told to disconnect devices and only have one device connected to get the speed i pay for is not a solution!

SillyGogo

Is 40 the best speed you are getting all the time or only during peak period?

1. unplug the sagem modem from the NBN  box

2. Hard reset the NBN box

3. Hard reset the sagam modem

4. reconnect the sagem to the NBN box

5. Do a speed test via the ethernet cable

6. do a speed test via wifi

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

petergdownload

Optus don't offer a 50Mbps speed pack. Its 25 or its 100.

FWIW "maitenance" is just a general cover all (half the time it seems they are just saying "The NBN is being worked on at the moment". There may or may not be some remedial work being done. The slow downs aren't because of the work though. The slow downs are because too many people are draining too much data.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Tano

The maintenance itself would be conducted as a means to improve performance during those peak times. If it's been established that your line has speed slows during those times (generally 7pm-12am), there are a few things you can do in an attempt to optimise your individual home network. You mention that the speed test gets one result and then slower results on other devices: this might indicate a home networking issue, which can be optimised for better performance. I appreciate that it must be frustrating to see those fluctuations, though! It's probably also important to clarify that speeds mentioned as part of plans and speed packs are theoretical benchmarks, meaning it's the maximum possible speed you can reach. It's not to be seen as a minimum threshold of performance, more like a cap (should your connection's variables permit it).

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
92 Kudos
54 Kudos
27 Kudos
21 Kudos
19 Kudos