Searching...
Highlighted

DNS and Protecting Kids

[ Edited ]
Scablifter

I have a Sagemcom 3864OP Router as part of my NBN pack including Telephone. 

I can not change the WAN DNS servers. 
Thus I can not protect my family and any of thier friends from the web by utilising OpenDNS.

I contacted Support whom advised me that there were only 2 routers supported, the supplied Sagemcom and a Netgear EVG2000 which I had to purchase from D!ckSmith.

However D!ckSmith has gone broke and the Netgear EVG2000 went out of production in 2012.

I was told that I could use another router, but not have a phone (needed) or turn off the WiFi and manually set the desktop computers DNS, none are acceptable. I know I can manually enter in blocking of addresses, but this is being is reactive, not proactive.

How I can get around this limitation (including changing the firmware), as I can’t believe that Optus does not care about our kids safety in this day and age.

Re: DNS and Protecting Kids

[ Edited ]
Scablifter

Worked out that I could not use the correct name for D!ckSmith as it was deemed a bad word... La Sigh.

Esther

Shouldn't giggle Scablifter but that is a little funny Smiley Happy Unfortunately this is outside the Optus tech support boundaries - we can assist you with service troubleshooting but not on how to set up your home network in your premises. Sorry! 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Scablifter

G'Day Esther

I have no problems with configuring my internal network.  What I wish is to configure the router so that it has the same features like the other 90% of the routers on the market.

I wish to set the WAN DNS settings to utilise the OpenDNS DNS IP addresses.

This feature is knobbled on the supplied router and as I am not the only person who is on Optus and seems to wish to utilise OpenDNS, can assistance be supplied?

Thanks

Esther

Best to give our 24/7 techs a call on 131344 to see what they can do Smiley Happy

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Yahhump

I think in this day and age the only way to protect your kids is peak over their shoulder while they're on the internet.

Though I should first straighten something out, you mentioned "turn off the WiFi and manually set the desktop computers DNS". I believe you were misinformed about manually specifying which DNS server you want to use on your computer.

Manually setting up which DNS servers you use is something you can do on all your devices PC/Laptop/Mobile/Tablet/FetchTV/SmartTV, and you won't need to turn off the wifi at all. This is probably going to be the option that might work. Just setup all the kids devices up manually and have them use OpenDNS.

The settings for each of the devices should be something like this:

IP address: 192.168.0.xx (each device will need a unique number where xx is)

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS Server: use the OpenDNS Server/s

In fact even when you had OpenDNS set up on the modem/router, the kids could have used this method to bypass your protection... which is why I say in this day and age you just need to watch over their shoulder.

The other thing is that using 3rd party DNS servers can sometimes cause you issues. Your internet may not run as fast as it should, things that were supposed to be zero rated/not counted towards your data limit might get counted and other weird things.

Scablifter

Thank you Yahhump for your reply.

Active parenting works very well, along with open communication with ones own children. However, I don't have the same relationship with my kids friends.  

Have been using OpenDNS for the past 5 years on an ADSL 1+ service, dont think I will notice the speed hit with NBN.... it's soooooo fast :-)

Manually setting the IP / DNS settings for every device is silly, as is not being able to define the settings for the DHCP server or for that matter on the Router's WAN interface. While I know that the DNS can be bypassed by manually setting the LAN adapter, this is a lot harder to undertake on tablets, iPads etc and assuming they know how.

Why does this seem to be such a hard thing, when all I wish to do is protect my family.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
25 Kudos
18 Kudos