cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

DNS Hijacking (F@ST 5366)

Changed from a F@ST 3864 to a F@ST 5366 router and now all DNS packets are hijacked, sent to Optus DNS servers and not what I used. 

Why is the new router hijacking the DNS packets and how can I stop it?
Note: There are no parental rules set but it's impossible to turn off.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
75 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: DNS Hijacking (F@ST 5366)

Hi @WallyWalrick 

Could you give this a shot?

Login the modem GUI (to access the GUI, navigate to http://192.168.0.1/)

Login - Optus

Password - Refer to the magnet that you've received with the modem (or the bottom of your modem) 

2) Click Modem Settings (first tile from the left-hand side)

3) Click DNS from the top menu 

4) Toggle Static DNS server configuration to on 

5) In the primary DNS server field, enter your preferred DNS server

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Dan_C ,
Sadly already tried that, it's impossible to toggle the Static DNS server configuration. I can't edit the DNS server fields.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, darn.

I'll need to follow up with product. According to the GUI guide I've been given; the functionality is listed.

On your end the option is greyed out completely?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

5366dns.pngPrimary and Secondary fields are read only. Enable won't toggle.

Even if I could change these, would the 5366 still hijack?

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Hi

Good to see you back @Dan_C .

If you can amend the DNS  it's new.  I have added a Netgear Orbi to allow me to change the DNS address and to add static routes.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Davelew ,

Unforunately, that doesn't work either. If the Sagemcom 5366 router is the main gateway then it doesn't matter what static routes are used, it will still redirect/hijack them.
I'm running multiple OpenWRT routers for extended wireless access but they also have their own DNS servers. I tried blocking the Optus DNS servers using the bogus NX domain overrides but that just stopped DNS access (apart from already cached domains).

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Hi @WallyWalrick 

Works for my needs.  I use a Smart DNS service mainly to enable me to watch foreign streaming services and add the static routes to block Chromecast from using the Google servers.

Also as i am away for many of the year in my caravan I use Optus wireless modem Huawei B525 and add a told ok no travel router to change my DNS address and add static routes.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Davelew ,

Are you using a Sagemcom 5366TN?

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Hi @WallyWalrick 

I am not sure which Sagemcom it is as I am away from home. It was the model Optus supplied when my NBN was connected in November last year.

Dave

0 Kudos