Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
VFRBoy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: DNS Hijacking (F@ST 5366)

@Strider365 after 3 different guys on the app and patently false statements made to me, the last guy has blamed Sagemcom and told me to go ask them. The other guys blamed NBNCO and gave me incorrect info to yada yada change it in the DynDNS settings. OMG. 

Possibly a Netgear Nighthawk D8500 router will do it but then we lose 4G backup and VOIP.

I'm going to ask around the other service providers and move because this is cr@p.

Strider365
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@VFRBoy 

wouldn't it be nice to charge for your wasted time..

I have long given up speaking to and wasting my time with the tech guys

unlike the previous modem we have not got the "SU" (SuperUser) password for this one 😛

it will eventually be leaked- then you can get the VOIP settings as well as other things.

if you don't need the 4g or VOIP it may be best way to go getting another modem Router.

Strider

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Work on the ability to change Static DNS was supposed to start back in February, It was supposedly fixed in late October, and went into testing (along with other firmware changes) at the start of November. No word yet though on when it will actually be released.

VFRBoy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc @Strider365 @Jack_YC @Optus 

For reference, I had a quick chat with the very helpful on-shore tech guys at Aussie Broadband and there is NO CONSTRAINT ON CONFIGURING DNS IMPOSED BY NBNCO. And AB don't restrict this either.

I just said it in caps in case you @Optus couldn't hear there up the back.

So why can't I have OpenDNS to control what content I let into my home network?

Tags (3)
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@VFRBoy wrote:

So why can't I have OpenDNS to control what content I let into my home network?

Simple. Optus is a control freak. They care more about making their job easier then caring about what the customer wan'ts, or indeed should be entitled to.

bzo
New Contributor
New Contributor

I'm not impressed with the locked DNS settings. Reading this thread makes it clear that the devs have put off fixing this and it's not certain they ever will. The claim that DNS settings can't be changed because of security concerns means the backend team is either lazy or incompetent.

Either way I'll be shopping for a new provider to offset the cost of replacing the router. I recommend the same for anyone who makes it this far in the thread.
Mkrtich
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi everyone - just curious has firmware version SG4Y1T002023 removed the Static DNS feature of the F@ST5366TN-A? 

I have been looking at why the modem won't update its firmware on another RSP (Telstra) - I have to take it to my friends place and it updates on the Optus network there. Some observations on my SG4Y1T001009. I know that another version 001019 was also released which may have resolved the matter , but unaware. 

1. When connected directly to the Telstra NBN WAN, the modem takes the current Telstra IPv4 public address and Telstra DNS settings into its system - see Modem Settings/Network. As the 5366TN is fixed to Static DNS, this means it is locked to 192.168.0.1 entry only , not allowing any edit there, it shows what is coming down the WAN. When I change the DNS at the device end, to Google's DNS servers, it has no influence on the modem's ACS connectivity, (understood) because it still won't connect to the TR069 addresses used for updates - they come up as continuing failed connections in the Log

2. I don't get a dual stack connection when on Telstra NBN which may be due to carrier fencing - IPV6 entries vacant. Does IPv6 Server usually get assigned to the 5366TN when on the Optus network? It may be seeking hidden IPv6 addresses for firmware upgrade connections and not getting them. I can't recall the modem showing IPv6 addresses for devices, maybe triggered only when on Optus network. 

3. TR069 FAILS TO CONNECT Errors in Log - Info and Higher View - but no target IPv6 address shown next to the URLs.

acs-manage.optusnet.com.au

acs-firmware.optusnet.com.au.gateway

thanks

0 Kudos
Sorab
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Software Version SG4Y1T0002023 has added manual DNS selection but you can't save your options, it's done through Internet Connectivity Menu, change the DNS option from Obtain DNS Automatically to Manually Specify DNS and input DNS1 and DNS2, tho I cannot save my settings.

Mkrtich
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Thank you for confirming Sorab. Unexpected about not being able to Save the manual assigned DNS settings. 

0 Kudos