cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

WallyWalrick
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: DNS Hijacking (F@ST 5366)

Hi @Davelew,
All good ๐Ÿ™‚
I think the 5366 is only new for Optus but @Dan_C could correct me?
My older Optus Sagemcom 3864(v2?) works fine (for the DNS issue), but I can check a 3864AC that is only a few months old tomorrow. 

0 Kudos
WallyWalrick
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Quick update: Just tested a 3864V3 as well and it works as it's suppose to.
The F@ST 5366 TN is the only router that hijacks the DNS packets

0 Kudos
khios
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yeah ive noticed the hijacking as well. No way to change the DNS AT ALL!

google DNS no longer works. yet to try a VPN. 

glad they added the log file access but i had that on the V3 AC (after getting admin password etc.. ) 

0 Kudos
khios
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well that modem can be added to my pile of optus modems that are useless haha. Going to buy a decent asus next week once my other nbn issues are sorted 

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@WallyWalrick  - is the Optus WAN IP assigned to the F@ST5366TN using IPv6 only? I wonder if that is somehow influencing the DNS function to be limited to the internal Optus preferred settings or just the way the modem currently functions. There doesn't appear to be a way of changing DNS settings in the F@ST386V3AC or the F@ST3864V3HP in standard menu offerings that I can see.

If you edit your client PC Network Adapter Setting to external DNS Server addresses, are you saying that the  adapter settings also get overridden by the modem's DNS Servers? That seems to be occurring with your AccessPoints. 

0 Kudos
khios
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Na its uses IPv4 only. Cant adjust for IPv6 at all. 

My PC network is set to 8.8.8.8 for obvious reasons but gets changed once it goes through the modem. 

I actually managed to get the config file for the V3AC modem .. and decrypted the admin password and accessed the full firmware when you could change settings. The same tricks to get the admin password dont exist on the 5366.  ๐Ÿ˜•

Basically I cant access eztv.io any more. Get the copyrite page. Swap back to the v3ac modem and no problem. 

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. These mysteries take a while to get understood. Cheers.

WallyWalrick
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Mkrtich,

@khios is correct.
The 5366TN still uses IPv4 on the WAN. 

"If you edit your client PC Network Adapter Setting to external DNS Server addresses, are you saying that the  adapter settings also get overridden by the modem's DNS Servers? That seems to be occurring with your AccessPoints."
Exactly right. Changing the DNS server addresses to static on a Windows 10 machine to ANY IPv4 address doesn't help, the modem overrides your static DNS settings on any LAN device.

dns.png

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks @WallyWalrick . Its an unexpected pecularity. Given that it appears to be contra to a User Guide @Dan_C  was referring to, hopefully it may be addressed in a future firmware update for users. These modems seem to get regular updates to fix issues. 

0 Kudos
khios
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

hoping with enough time someone works out how to extract a clear text of the config file so we can decode the admin password to access the full firmware. By nice if optus would give us the admin password.. but not holding my breath haha ๐Ÿ˜‰

0 Kudos
Top Contributors