cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor WallyWalrick
Occasional Contributor

DNS Hijacking (F@ST 5366)

Changed from a F@ST 3864 to a F@ST 5366 router and now all DNS packets are hijacked, sent to Optus DNS servers and not what I used. 

Why is the new router hijacking the DNS packets and how can I stop it?
Note: There are no parental rules set but it's impossible to turn off.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: DNS Hijacking (F@ST 5366)

Hi @WallyWalrick 

Could you give this a shot?

Login the modem GUI (to access the GUI, navigate to http://192.168.0.1/)

Login - Optus

Password - Refer to the magnet that you've received with the modem (or the bottom of your modem) 

2) Click Modem Settings (first tile from the left-hand side)

3) Click DNS from the top menu 

4) Toggle Static DNS server configuration to on 

5) In the primary DNS server field, enter your preferred DNS server

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Dan_C ,
Sadly already tried that, it's impossible to toggle the Static DNS server configuration. I can't edit the DNS server fields.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, darn.

I'll need to follow up with product. According to the GUI guide I've been given; the functionality is listed.

On your end the option is greyed out completely?

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

5366dns.pngPrimary and Secondary fields are read only. Enable won't toggle.

Even if I could change these, would the 5366 still hijack?

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi

Good to see you back @Dan_C .

If you can amend the DNS  it's new.  I have added a Netgear Orbi to allow me to change the DNS address and to add static routes.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Davelew ,

Unforunately, that doesn't work either. If the Sagemcom 5366 router is the main gateway then it doesn't matter what static routes are used, it will still redirect/hijack them.
I'm running multiple OpenWRT routers for extended wireless access but they also have their own DNS servers. I tried blocking the Optus DNS servers using the bogus NX domain overrides but that just stopped DNS access (apart from already cached domains).

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi @WallyWalrick 

Works for my needs.  I use a Smart DNS service mainly to enable me to watch foreign streaming services and add the static routes to block Chromecast from using the Google servers.

Also as i am away for many of the year in my caravan I use Optus wireless modem Huawei B525 and add a told ok no travel router to change my DNS address and add static routes.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Davelew ,

Are you using a Sagemcom 5366TN?

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi @WallyWalrick 

I am not sure which Sagemcom it is as I am away from home. It was the model Optus supplied when my NBN was connected in November last year.

Dave

0 Kudos
Top Contributors