cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

D-Link DSL-4320L Modem drops Internet connection after one or two days.

This forum may be my last hope to salvage my very expensive D-Link DSL-430L modem from the scrap heap.  I have an Optus NBN100 connection (actual line speed ~71MB/s, but that's another story) and it works continously with the standard Sagemcom modem.  When I replace it with my D-Link DSL-4320L modem the Internet connection runs ok for a day or two, but then drops out.  The LAN and Wireless LAN remain up (I can communicate with other computers on the LAN).  Even the DSL seems to remain connected.  But the modem reports the Internet connection is down and I can't ping any server on the Internet.  The connection remains down indefinitely.  I have to reboot the modem to get it working again, but it always connects first time.

I set the modem up according to the D-Link/Optus guides (except I used DHCP instead of PPPoE for the connection).  Apart from the basic connection settings, everything else is at their default values.

I can rule out a problem with the NBN because even the Sagemcom can maintain a connection.  It must be the D-Link modem.  D-Link Support got me to make the wifi use specific channels for some reason.  I humoured them, but when it didn't help they said the hardware was faulty and replaced it with a new one.  The new one dropped the connection after about 10 hours.  I've given up on D-Link Support.

It must be something in the advanced settings, but i have no idea where to start.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: D-Link DSL-4320L Modem drops Internet connection after one or two days.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2666364

May just have a bad line that the Sage can deal with.  Somebody in that thread says there have been reports of the 4320 dropping out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It will sad day if the Sagemcom can outperform the DSL-4320.  The retailer will only offer an exchange - no refund.  I can't even use the 4320 as an access point to the Sagemcom.  It's not looking for the 4320.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

look I am not claiming to be an expert and i don't know your NBN contract but I did encountered the same problem. The thing that fixed it for me was to cancel the porting request that I arranged with my ISP. Don't know why but that made the connection drop. ask your ISP to see if there is a similar issue if not then the follow these settings connection type Dynamic OR DHCP witch ever one you want they are the same connection. And the rest is WiFi passwords and admin logging for the router not details that i can give to you. Just look at that then you should be good 

hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors