cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor sbtb
Occasional Contributor

Contradictory advice from Optus: NBN Connection and ADSL

Just wondering if its normal to get false advise from optus regarding NBN connections?

I order NBN FTTN on 31/07. got told the connection date would be 10/08. 

Half an hour later, my ADSL stops working and no dial tone on my phone.

After line tests i was advised the problem is in my house, there is a short circuit.

Got an electrician to test, all good, paid money for his visit.

Called tech support again, this time they changed their response.

They claim a tech had already visited, and he says everything is fine.

Unsatisfied, i call again, then starts the NBN hop

I juggle between one consultant to another on phone:

NBN tech support, NBN sales, DSL sales, DSL billing, DSL tech support

They claim it is coz my NBN has been activated and i need to wait for modem, and this is why my adsl isn't working.

Frustrated, i called their Optus NBN pre-activation, who advise completely opposite. They say NBN will only be activated on 10/08 and i need to go back to DSL tech.

Ok, this time DSL tech says we have booked a technician.

Finally, he comes on 04/08, finds out there is a fault in line 300m from house. Goes and fixes it up and ADSL is back up and running.

Now comes 10/08, the NBN activation date. I have the modem ready to go all set. But nothing has happened.

Called to chase its status, they say NBN activation was attempted but there is a short circuit and the technicians weren't able to install it, so they will revisit on 16/08. I am stunned, after technician fixed the line on 4/08 and my ADSL working fine since then, how can a technician claim fault ? A step further I called NBN, they said everything is good from their end, and they do not see any faults.

In the multiple contradictory advises I have got thus far from Optus, I am wondering whether should I really proceed with this NBN connection at all ? Even more basic question is, whome to trust? The technicans who attempted to connect me today? or the ones who will visit again on 16/08 ? Or the optus support who thought I was already connected to NBN ? Or the Optus pre-activation who said activation will be on 10/08.

What are your advise and experience? Should I cancel this order completely ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Contradictory advice from Optus: NBN Connection and ADSL

Your ADSL connection is completely seperate to NBN. I'm very surprised you were able to reactivate it (its actually illegal to reconnect anyone to the "old" network once the NBN network is available (for any reason)) 

NBN and Optus techs are two different groups and yes, communication can sometimes be at odds. NBN are now responsible for the wires etc. So if they have detected faults etc. then I'd let them fix them. If you have an NBN tech at any point then ask them to confirm you now have a signal back to the "internet". After that Optus should be able to help you connect.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I think you misunderstood that I was actually connected to NBN.

There was no chance that I could have got jumpered to NBN just 30 minutes after placing the order.

It was only a few Optus support people thinking all the time that I was connected. But I verified later from another team that I was still on ADSL. Later they sent out a technitian and found there was a fault 300m away from house.

But the funny and confusing part is, Optus kept giving me false advise (even more hilarious was different teams gave different advise on same call).

And now I am not sure whats happening. We as customers really dont get much choice don't we! It is in the end our choice to keep waiting, or eventually pop out. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So is your area NBN ready or not?

It seems like you've ordered an NBN service and have an NBN modem and now have multiple techs involved?

I agree that the customer support can be difficult to pin down. IMO they're all trying to help but they also all have different levels of experience, power, and ability. Underlying it all is the fact that equipment Optus used to have full ownership of is now something Optus has to ring up and ask about how its going. 

I can only suggest perservere (esp if you have a viable connection now)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

you are absolutely correct. There isn't much that i can do here. And seems like even Optus can't either.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

But what to do if Optus keeps changing everyday ?

Yesterday was told technician had fault and will revisit on 16

Today being told the technician was not able to visit at all and will visit on 19

The funny part is, the same optus team mates do not own what they say

they do not send any email/ text confirmation.

Any Optus reps here willing to take a stand and give some authentic information ?

0 Kudos
Moderator Tris

Hi @sbtb, has this since been sorted out? Frustrating that it's not only been delayed but also you're getting inconsistent feedback around the status Smiley Sad If you still need a hand, please send a PM with your account details, full name and DOB? I'm really sorry for the experience

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tris,

No the issue is still not resolved.

Once again, I have been getting false advises.

Here's the latest:

Got told the connection will be done on 16/08 then a day later was told it will be on 19/08. Realizing it was a saturday I called and was informed it will be 23/08. And when I checked the order status, i found out it was moved to 25/08. 

I don't even know which is correct information. And why Optus is not able to raise this with NBN ?

Sent you account details

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Its of little consolation but IMO Optus have not had a very efficient connection with NBNCo in managing new connections. Its up to NBN to decide when they're dong things and Optus to report it to you. If NBN changed things then Optus wouldn't always know.

Optus recently announced that new systems will be coming online so that Optus staff can tell immeadiately what the current status is. Juries still out on how effective it will be but hopefully it will stop annoying situations like yours in the future.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors