Searching...

Re: Constant Slow NBN Speeds

Hannah-L

Can you please reboot the Optus modem, @Pixo? I've just reset the NTD again.

Pixo

I am afraid that my internet performance has not improved. Based on this Optus' page entitled, "How fast are Optus’ internet speeds?" I am not even reaching ADSL-1 download speeds.

I did however find the answer to my own question as to whether Optus had a contracted minimum speed. This from the standard pricing table, with reference to the advertised d/l and u/l speed of each plan, "The speeds indicated in this section are maximum theoretical speeds only. This doesn't mean that you will experience the maximum speeds at all times, in fact you will typically experience slower speeds due to a number of factors including demand on the Network and local conditions such as internet traffic, your line condition, your hardware and software, the data source or destination and your location that prevent or interfere with reception and speed."

Here is the link to my continued series of speed tests; http://www.speedtest.net/results?sh=73f6d91e4ef10aa1ffc2ef4c78848780

Pixo

I have just disconnected my nbn apparatus and reconnected my Telstra Bigpond Cable modem (as I haven't cut that service off yet).

Capture6.JPG

Fordguy

TIO is the only way to go. Can't use this service the way it is. My uni student son needs it and we rely on it for ourselves as a family as well. Can't communicate with overseas family, video useless, fetch can't be used. Your readings are better than mine here in PERTH 

Aman_B

That's definitely not good to hear @Pixo and we're really sorry it didn't work out the way it should Smiley Sad  The speeds are not looking great and as mentioned earlier we don't have an ETR on this yet. You can certainly contact our retentions team on 1300555241 to discuss your options. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Fordguy

And there it is, the standard response, retention team or buggar off because we can't supply what you have been paying for 

Aman_B

Totally understand your frustrations @FordguyWe'd love to have you as an Optus customer but at the same time, we don't want you to pay for a service that's not up to expected standards. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Fordguy

Problem is I have been and you aren't willing to do anything about it. I have paid and not received. I am paying and not receiving. 

Aman_B

Sorry to make you feel like that @Fordguy. Feel free to PM us and we can discuss. 

AdamDabin

Hey,

So thought I should post an update on what my current status with this is, as I have been doing a lot research and also escalation within Optus and let’s just say it’s been an eye opener.

Firstly, and please note this is a very simplified explanation so it will make sense to most non-technical people.

The NBN business model itself is one that creates an environment that telcos are always going to have to oversubscribe to make any money out of it. As an example, (these aren't actual amounts just a way to convey the way it works) NBN charges the telcos like Optus to access NBN ports. Let’s just say a 100/40mbps NBN port costs Optus $1000/month to use. Your 50/20 NBN plan with Optus is let’s say $100, which includes a heap of other stuff so likely let’s say $50/month of that plan is for NBN.

To guarantee you the full 50/20mpbs speed of your plan, Optus could only sell 2 people a plan per 100/40mpbs NBN port, which would mean they lose $900/month on NBN. In this example, to cover their cost and even make some money they need to subscribe at least 20 people per port to break even (20 x $50 = $1000). So theoretically if those 20 people were maxing their downloads/uploads at the same time the best connection speed you will get is 5/1mbps. Given its very hard to max a connection and have everyone doing this at the same time, what you generally see is degraded performance vs paid performance, particularly in peak times.

I've seen lots of posts with dramatically different speeds reported for the same provider and there are two aspects of this. First is the basis that most of us connect into the NBN physically by our old copper phone lines (thanks Malcom Turnbull). This does impact speed, in that the distance from you to the nearest NBN physical connection point can reduce your speed anywhere between 5-50%. The longer the copper run is the lower your speeds will be. This is not your telcos fault it’s just NBN architecture.

I am trying to find out if for certain areas like country towns etc, if there is a physical limitation to the available NBN ports, ie: they only installed 10 ports in an exchange for a town of 10,000 so if all 10,000 subscribe to NBN, well you can do the math but it would be horrible.

Different telcos have different oversubscription rates, may explain why you pay more for say a Telstra plan than an Optus one, but I haven't used Telstra NBN so can't talk to how it performs, but based on the above you can guarantee there is over subscription.

So now that you understand this, you start to realise that the dream the politicians sold us is a lie, the cost of the business model and the infrastructure choices meant we were never going to get the shiny fast internet we were promised.

So how are Telco's contributing to the issue, simply they are falsely advertising the plans. I have been in contact with the Australian Telecommunications Ombudsmen about this and will also be reaching out to the ACCC to see what's is in play to stop this. As an example, Optus on certain level plans offers you to pay more (about $20 extra) to bump your speed from a 20/5mbps connection to 50/20mpbs. given they already know that you are highly unlikely to even get the lower speed, then that extra $20 is essentially obtaining funds by deception, as it's not going to happen.

Telco’s should be forced to advertise speeds not based on theoretical maximum of one person using the internet at a time, but on the realistic average expected speeds based on their modelled oversubscription rates.

What can you do, call your Telco, make an official complaint. Get a complaint number and lodge a call with the Telecommunication Ombudsmen. Ask for compensation on the difference in cost of your plan to the average actual performance of your plan. Contact ACCC make a complaint of false advertising. The more people that do this the more we'll keep the players honest.

Bottom line peeps, the NBN is never going to be what we expect, not for long time yet and with significant more investment, so I guess we just have to get over it!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
105 Kudos
37 Kudos
29 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos