Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
steve_flavel
New Contributor
New Contributor

Constant NBN Internet dropouts since Alexa Installation

Hi.

I recently installed a few Amazon Echos in the house and about a dozen assorted Smart Lights / Smart Switches to modernise the home a bit as a bit of a Christmas present.

Ever since then, I have endured dozens of drop-outs a day where the router seems to still have all the lights on but when I try to log into the router it says it cannot connect to the router.

I thought IP conflicts with the devices might be the problem, so I went through the laborious process of specifying IP addresses for all the MAC addresses in the home which seemed to help, but frankly didn't.

Before Alexa, we had maybe one drop out every 2nd or 4rd night around 11pm, but now, we can't even watch a movie any more with 3-4 drop-outs during the process which is resulting in a family mutiny!!. Asking Alexa to do anything is a waste of time as most of the time the internet is offline.

A support technician came out and replaced the router (FAST5366TN-A), but pointed out to Optus that I am using a Network Switch (surprise, surprise) to connect to my LAN devices which apparently they don't support and are now blaming the cause of the internet dropouts on.

Any ideas on a fix ? #tearingmyhairout #kidsaremutinying #wifedemandsreturnofalexa

0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_YC

Re: Constant NBN Internet dropouts since Alexa Installation

Hi @steve_flavel

Thank you for raising this issue and sorry to hear about your droopouts.

Have you tried out our Optus nbn internet speed and drop-out troubleshooting page?

Please note that we’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media account, please then send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@steve_flavelUnfortunately you may get various optus support giving response that they do not support the setup or something similar or that you need to do xyz, but.....

First thing to try and do is to try and find which if any one network device is causing the problem(s) assuming that only one device is faulty and you have not overloaded the modem with devices.

There are two ways of doing this (hopefully my steps are understandable, but I may need to expand them if they are not):

1) Split the number of devices (aka lights/alexias) in half and connect half and see how it works out. If the problem still exists then disconnect half of the connected devices until you get to the stage where either there is no issues or the problem still exists with one device connected. If you get to the end with one device causing the problem disconnect it and reconnect the devices and hopefully there is only one device faulty.

If you unplug half and the problem goes away they disconnect the half that works and put the other half back in.

2) Connect one device at a time and see if the problem(s) still exists and if it does then you have found a faulty device.

I suspect you have one of two issues:

1) One or more of the devices is transmitted garbage on the network. It happens.

2) The modem has a bug with the number of devices it supports.

If you find that the problem(s) only exist when everything is connected then the modem has a fault with supporting that may devices and you will need to contact Optus about the number of devices you have connected to it to see if there is a limit.

BTW This can all be done without any access to your account..... Puzzled???

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @steve_flavel

Like any debugging process you'll need to simplify things down.

Before that though the IP conflict might still be the case. If two devices are set to be a DHCP server then other devices will be picking up potentially overlapping addresses. Ensure your network switch isn't also set to have DHCP (or any other devices such as Alexa etc.)

Also rather than assign the IPs to the MAC addresses in the router its usually easier just to set the static IP on the device itself. Change the the range of IP addresses that are dynamic on the router so both are seperate:

e.g.
Static Range = 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.150
DCHP Server Range = 192.168.0.151 - 192.168.0.254

Failing that then first thing is to disengage all the Alexia units. See if things return to normal. Makes sense you added them and things broke so they might be the cause. Once you've got things running then you can look to add them

The network switch might also be doing some things and it would be good if you could take that out of the equation at least for testing. Office works have a 30 day change of mind policy (just keep the packaging etc.) so you could try a dumb switch and see if that helps.

Good Luck
0 Kudos
Pitbull007
Contributor
Contributor

I set up two networks, 1 for computers 1 for Alexa and automation, it seems to have solved the issue.  I was getting authentication issues with Amazon Servers.   I started with Google Home and it was Buffering issues, then flicked to Amazon, it does get easier.