cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Constant Internet Drop out

First time user

i just got my NBN yesterday and already experiencing regular drop outs.can I please have the Dlink model name please

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the info,  I'll change the modem.

I switched to optus from Internode in April 2018 when I changed house.  Never had a problem with Internode but from the outset with Optus I have had drop out problems with the Wifi  and with the hardline resulting in "Lost connection" message on Fetch TV, loss of my Sonos connection etc.  If I do a soft reboot I usually get it back but it often drops out again soon afterwards.  It is very frustrating.   It can go an hour or so without dropping out and then it will continually lose connection sometime only momentarily but other ties for some minutes or until I reboot the modem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have been having the same issue fo the last 2 weeks. I Have contacted tech support several times. THe last time i spoke to a "Tech support" person and all that happpens every 2 days is " I'm contacting you to see if you are still having issues". I reply yes  as i am having to reset the modem on a daily basis ( more than once). Then he replies i'll contact the NBN team to monitor the line. I then get a Text the next day saying the line is checked and it is ok. The next day Optus tech support calls back to see if i am still having issues of which i am. and so the continual circle goes. I doubt unless I contact the Ombudsman or do something different like buy a new modem myself, that this cycle will ever end.  To make matters worst the tech support guy says  "it only appears to be affecting wireless contections do you you habe any connections cabled?". I  reply that I have several cabled connections  and wifi connections too. Not 2-3 minutes later he asked me the same question again. I t is almost like he lost where he was with the script and needed to restart

I  have had no issues for the last 18 mths. and now each and every time before reseting the modem  the lights are hard  on.. no blinking etc. I am certain that it is the modem but in reality from all the other postson yes crowd I have read even if they do eventually replace the modem (sagemcom F@st3864AC) it may only stop having to be reset for a little while before it too craps itself. 

Even though the modem is supplied by optus.. we are paying for it over the period of the contract. as such Optus should be obliged to provide a reliable modem not these crappy Sagemcom ones.  If I end up contacting the ombudsman and I am able to terminate my contract early with out penalty I'll be walking. If  not then when the contract is up I will be walking as this is the worst  tech support I have ever received.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sadly .. this is still happening. Shocking for a company like Optus. They dont seem to have a clue what the heck is going on. The Sagecom modem which they have provided is not up to scratch. Internal "Ping" on both wired and wireless randomly drop packets.

It has nothing to do with the NBN connection to the internet.

It is unfortunate that NBN gets the bad rep due to this a modem router provided by Optus.

I was supplied with a second modem a year ago after I made the complaint. If Optus support would like, you can have the old one back which also produces the same problem. Test it out in your lab ....  (How to reproduce the problem) You will need: 1 wired PC, 1 Wireless PC, 1 Mobile phone, 1 Wireless laptop, Optus Fetch box.

Test it for a couple of days.

1) Connect all the above devices to the router.

2) Run a continous ping to the router.

3) Randomly one of the devices will experience droppped packets on a fixed interval.

Anyway ... I had a work around to this... set static ip on devices will ensure no dropped packets.

Generally when something like this happens, it could be due to poor "DHCP" programming of the device.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I have been off the OPTUS merry go round now for just over 12 months, well for NBN purposes anyway. The number of replies to topics I had written still amazes me 8(...What is it OPTUS are you completely deaf and indifferent to the customers who have repeatedly brought to your attention this glaring flaw in your corporate inadequacy.??

I joined the OPTUS NBN as soon as it was available in my area, having fibre to the premises. From the very beginning, it was nothing but a constant struggle to get the deal and the promises honoured and if that wasn't enough, you then did not connect me because you said I had no contract to do so. However, I was smarter and had enough names and numbers to prove otherwise.

Then you provided me with the "White Box" from hell, how that was supposed to do anything I will never know, and if was not for the fact that I needed the telephone calls part of my then deal, I would have just binned it and connected a real NBN router unt.  Not long after the "Black Box" AC version came out and I was again run around with paying a small fortune for it, later to find out I should not have, with re imbursement provided. Months of fine tuning finally got this AC version running to a reasomnable rate, or so I thought...?  Ha,!! Te joke was on me, drop outs, switch on and off, on a regular basis, redo the settings again because of updates and so it went on.

I wrote in complaining and offering suggestions and ideas, as opposed to abuse and threats. Some moderators seemed interested enough to say they would pass it on while others said the usual policy line what you get is all there is so be grateful.!

Well, I will suggest again..!! There is no free modem / router, it is paid for by the user in the contractual payments.  This being the case, WHY, don't you as a company look at something in the higher end with value and performance for the customer, offer it as such and put an attached purchase price to it as an upgrade from the basic "Free"one.  Suggetion for this are Fritzbox 7490, ideally suited as a dual band unit, high speed, 2xUSB3 ports, 5 year Wty and VOIP capable.  Another would be Draytek Vigor 2762 Series, same as Fritz box, but capable of using the USB as a 3G/4G LTE mobile access broadband if the NBN fails.

This would give those consumers who have more capability then the on/off switch a chance to benefit from the NBN.  Oh, by the way, since I have changed, my entire speed range has increased by 15Mbps at the same speed teir that I had with OPTUS, mainly because I have a proper Modem/Router. I have not moved house, just changed my supplier.

You have lost so many customers in the 2.5 years I was with you, people walked because of the failure to provide a decent router, such a small item, yet you choose to ignore it.  Do you do the same in Singapore.?

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

My experience with Optus re the very same issue had been equally as bad.  I have come to the conclusion that only a modem change will resolve the issue.  The Sagecom product that Optys provide is rubbish.

Given the difficulty in contacting Optus ( their 24/7 chatline would not connect and contact by phone takes forever) I have decided I will change suppliers.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Disappointing to hear that.

There shouldn't be an issue with Live Chat, if it's not too late please try another browser or check that any anti-virus software is not blocking it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So the saga continues...

Back in december when I had the initial problem a technician finally came out and replaced the modem.. tada.. no more drop outs.what a suprise ( please note the sarcasm here) especially after 3 weeks of crap form the tech support. Well anyway 6 minths on this modem has crapped itself too. Admittedly the tech support was much better this time around however..it has still taken 2 weeks to determin oh the modem maybe bad.. and I now have to suffer continual drop outs until next week 18 June before this modem will be replaced and yes i have to be home when the technician comes again.

As mentioned before one my contract is up i will be walking but thats not till August, i did do some research too and found out that my line has "co-exisitance" ie max speed will only be around 25 MPS.. till the Co-existance is removed.. ( co existance essentiall reduces your speed so as not to blow up the ADSL equipment still in use at the exchange... when Co existance is going to be removed..who the hell knows..whilst its not optus's doing another great feature of NBN FTTN

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Morning All,

We have just moved to a new property which does not have a phone line. Previously with another provider .

So we decided to go with the OPTUS wireless broadband .

Signed up and was given the Huawei E5186. All plugged in and off we go.

Also signed up with Fetch TV. After eventually receiving the box .. very pretty packaging and plugging it in we find that you can't connect Fetch TV to the wifi broadband. The local Optus shop where we bought it from didn't even know about this.

So return and cancel that. Back with Foxtel.

Now we notice that we are getting drop outs every evening. Internet connection has been lost type messages. Happens on both ipad and Samsung. Huawei shows good signal strength and all OK, but no connection. Lasts 5 - 10 mins then returns.

I can understand high traffic issues during peak times, but surely all that should happen is a reduction in speed?

Not a total loss.

I haven't tried the tech support yet .. I do have a life .

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Check with Optusif your area suffers from poor mobile coverage. My area is in a designated blackhole for both phone and Wifi coverage and as this device runs off the 4G 2300mHz band you will be sure to have issues.  If it has the 700Mhz freq, then it will perform much better as my Huawei phones do.  You can expect to experience regular drop outs (once every couple of days) and speed drops (2300Mhz). It should also be noted that while the device does run off the Optus 4G network, your speeds are capped at up to 12/1mbps in metro areas and 5/1mbps in regional areas; so don't get this if you're looking for superfast 4G speeds to compete with the NBN (you'll want mobile broadband for that). What I do like about this device is how portable it is. You can move it anywhere in the house, near a window is best for optimal coverage. I use mine in a caravan mostly with external antennae, a must have if you even are the little bit suspicious on your signal cover.

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
0 Kudos