Searching...
Highlighted

Constant Dropout of our NBN at the Optus Modem.

Sporky72

Our NBN is constantly dropping out at the Optus Modem. The wifi network is fine.

Re: Constant Dropout of our NBN at the Optus Modem.

petergdownload

The wifi uses the NBN network. So if the wifi is fine then your NBN should be fine?

What NBN technology do you hgave? FTTN? 

Peter Gillespie

Sporky72

Hi Peter, Thanks for your note. Unfortunateoly I don't know what FTTN is or means. I'm one of those people who order it, have it installed and expect it to work most of the time. What I can tell you is we run an apple wifi home network (locked) directly from the Optus modem. Over the past two weeks when the internet drops out I open my AirPort Utility and it shows the 1 Aiport Extreme and the 4 Airport Expres devices as green (or working) and the internet as orange. So I unplug the Optus modem for 30 seconds and then plug it back to re-boot and it the interet goes green and we are back online. So I am assuming it is Optus???

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Hi @Sporky72 ,

Try your address here. It should tell you what NBN technology you have (FTTN, HFC, FTTP, FTTC, etc.) Good to know as its the first thing most people will ask when troubleshooting. 

When you say the Internet drops out on what device is that? All of them? I think I get what you're saying, the wifi isn't "working" as the internet is down. So yes the Internet.

FWIW the Optus Modem is a bit cheap and may not be the best at holding an unstable connection. But before going there you can contact Optus directly and ask them to investigate the drop outs (this might involve asking them to have the NBNCo to investigate the line too). How often are the drop outs.

Peter Gillespie

Sporky72

Hi Peter, We have nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC). When the internet drops out it is just on the Optus modem. The apple devices all still show green lights. When we are home and using the internet (family of four) it will drop out two or three times and night. I have contacted Optus but frankly they are useless. We had major issues when connecting in December and now are appartently on the higest speed but are still only acheiving 34.4mbs down and 36.2mbs up. This is compared to 94.8mbs down and 37.8mbs up on the 4th of April 2019. It might be the modem??? Thanks for your help. Cheers, Michael

petergdownload

34 Mbps on HFC indicates a big issue on your NBN line. It should generally be able to do 90 Mbps when working properly (and can do that pretty easily). 

First thing to confirm is that Optus do not have you reduced to a 50Mbps plan? Getting 37 Mbps on that is a more likely scenario.

Second make sure you're not paying for a 100Mbps plan if your line can only give 50Mbps. Optus are legally required to refund the monthly difference in speed packs on request.

Third the drop outs could be a symptom of the poor line overall. So at this stage I would be insisting Optus contact NBN (that's their roll) and having someone from NBNCo check the HFC Cable line to your home. If you're only getting 35Mbps on a 100Mbps plan then NBNCo should be eager to see what is going wrong. 

At this stage I would say its not your modem (although they might try rule that out by swapping it) 

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos