Searching...

Connecting NBN in new apartment

Gen_

Hi all, 

I'm really hoping someone can help me here!! 

So I have just moved in to a brand new apartment and my partner organised to have Optus set up for the nbn connection. Our connection type is apparently fiber to the premises but I was very confused when I noticed on the instructions it talked about an nbn connection box and there was no such thing in the whole apartment! There is a phone socket plug in the wall so I tried connecting the grey cable to it which made the Wi-Fi discoverable and Connect-able but the internet didn't work Smiley Sad after several live chats I finally realised I hadn't checked the store room next to my parking spot and finally found the nbn connection box! But then was confused, does this mean I have to keep my modem down stairs and across the building in a room in the carpark?? I noticed there is a wall socket next to the connection box so connected the yellow Ethernet cable into the uni-d 1 port and the wall socket to see if that worked (still connecting the modem to the wall socket inside my apartment using the grey cable) but still no luck!!! I am at my witts end and i can't find anything on Google about having your connection box outside your actual apartment! Someone help me please!! Smiley Tongue 

TL;DR : NBN connection box in store room a fair distance from my actual apartment, modem not making working Wi-Fi. Do I plug connection box into wall socket next to it? 

Re: Connecting NBN in new apartment

petergdownload

FTTP? Lucky you.

All NBN FTTP installs run to a NBN box on the outside of the house (or the basement etc.). This is stage one of an NBN install (and generally done without any notice to the property owner). This makes the property NBN Ready. When you sign up for the NBN (via any RSP) they will arrange for a NBN technician to come out and run a line from that box to a wall plate in your apartment. Its probably already there by the sounds of it. However you still need to get a technician to connect the box to your home wiring.

The NBN guy will just open the NBN box and put a little cable between the box and the yellow wall socket. That should likely activate your wall plate inside the apartment.

So just make the call to Optus and request they get someone out to setup the NBN.

Peter Gillespie

Gen_

ahh thank you so much! I was hoping to avoid calling someone out but at least now I know it's not a simple solution on my end that I was too stupid to miss! 

petergdownload

You may not need someone to come out. Can you access any cat 5 plug in the NBN box? If you can connect the box to your home plug then just ask Optus to activate the line. No cost required.

Peter Gillespie

Gen_

I assume so, all the plugs were empty. Ill have a look in a minute, if there is a cat 5 plug, will it say cat 5? And should I use the yellow Ethernet cable to connect to the wall socket in the store room? Sorry if these are stupid questions! Swear I'm a 85 year old trapped in a 22 year old body! 😅

petergdownload

You should be all good then. all the plugs are CAT5. An NBN FTTP box can actually provide up to 4 simultaneous NBN connections. So if you wanted you could join Telstra, Optus, TPG and Aussie Broadband and have one of the ports assigned to each. As it is you probably just want one though. So pick them (NBN means you can choose any provider) they'll send you a modem unit and get the NBN Box activated. You'll be told which DP Port you should use. 

It sounds like the apartment has been wired with the NBN in mind so that's the wall port next to the box. It should come it in your house somewhere. Optus support should be able to step you through the process once they've sent you your modem and activated the NBN Plan of your choice.

Enjoy (btw the standard 50Mbps plan is likely plenty for you)

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
38 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos