cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Connect USB printer to Sagemcom 5366TN router

I have just changed modems from Sagemcom 3864 AC to new Sagemcom 5366TN.

Previous modems USB port connected to my USB Brother printer fine as I could log into router, go to multimedia and tick the box for enable onboard server and add printer details.

The new router has a USB port but does not have this facility SO,

HOW do I enable usb printing through this router.?

Any help would be apppreciated as I would like to network this printer again.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Connect USB printer to Sagemcom 5366TN router

Hi - you may wish to verify if your modem is at the latest firmware version - the last one I read on the forum ended in an 85. If you still have the previous modem which had a working USB Printer port, a possible workaround if it works - disable its DHCP Server (put into Bridge Mode) , turn off its Wi-Fi and use it as a secondary switch connected to the F@ST 5366 TN - LAN to LAN cable and set aside a static IP address within the F@ST5366TN for the interconnection.  

Sagemcom modems always have a sense of mystery about them - Optus has turned OFF some features that are blocked to users; a hidden higher level Admin Mode which requires decryption expertise to access. With an old F@ST3864V3AC, I can see a Print Server heading under Advanced SetUp/Multimedia but that page greets you with the following text in red - 'This page is available for lab use only, it is not available on production devices'. I can tick the Enable Box, which activates two other boxes - Printer Name and Make & Model. I have not had a need to test the feature. May be related to out of date firmware. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your comments, I have added printer ok using “enable onboard server” with old router but it had a faulty ethernet port (I needed all 4) so purchased the 5366tn thinking I could still connect printer in USB slot. Optus tech support says this port is only for charging and my old 3865 should not have been able to connect to usb printer. What the?

So thanks again ,will check software update and try again to setup old router as access point. 
cheers

Rick

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Yes, that is an unexpected response from the Optus tech. Not sure why USB charging would be deemed to be a helpful feature when customer requirements for options such as Printer Server or Multimedia/Hard Disk Storage Server connectivity would be more prevalent, particular since they were supported on older Sagemcom models. Maybe worth while to get a second opinion from another call to Optus Helpdesk. 

@Yeldarband @YetAnotherAcc  - can you confirm if the F@ST5366TN USB Port is limited to charging only? Seems strange. 

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc  - can you confirm if the F@ST5366TN USB Port is limited to charging only? Seems strange. 

That would be just stupid if that was the case.

It supports media sharing via DLNA according to the settings screenshots I just took: 

Screenshot_2019-12-25-10-15-18.png

Screenshot_2019-12-25-10-17-58.png

DLNA also supports printing, although I don't know if the 5366 has implemented that feature.

Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Thanks for helping out. I have noticed some modem manufacturers limiting the USB port to Multimedia/Storage and leaving out the Print Server function and perhaps that is what Sagemcom has done with the F@ST53566TN. Hopefully the proposed workaround may solve the problems for the OP. Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Mkrtich wrote:

Thanks for helping out. 

No problem!

I have noticed some modem manufacturers limiting the USB port to Multimedia/Storage and leaving out the Print Server function and perhaps that is what Sagemcom has done with the F@ST53566TN. 

I've seen the trend towards DLNA which is supposed to support printing when implemented properly. The marketing material tends to talk up the multimedia side of things, so printing is probably there, just lost in the noise.

Hopefully the proposed workaround may solve the problems for the OP. Cheers. 

The only potential issue I can see with your suggestion is the IP assignment. The 3864's IP address will need to be set within the 3864 itself as well because its default is 192.168.0.1 and it needs to be manually set there because it can't auto pick up a LAN address.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Yes, I agree with you and thanks for pointing out that omission. The same static IP address needs to be set in both modems. Following your comments, I will check out DLNA for general interest. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for suggestions. Im like a dog with a bone now. Will keep trying ways to connect USB Brother HL-2040 to 5366 and network it at no extra cost. The 3864 worked perfectly so why do they remove features that work? Maybe its called progress! Mmm?

Could buy wireless lazer printer $120, could buy external print server $100. “Not happy Jan”.

Short term plug into PC usb but would like to network like before.

I’ll keep watching this post in case some new ideas pop up from contributors. Thanks for helping to date and Happy New Year

Cheers, trikky

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@trikky wrote:

Thanks for suggestions. Im like a dog with a bone now. Will keep trying ways to connect USB Brother HL-2040 to 5366 and network it at no extra cost.

Just looked at the HL-2040 manual, it does not support DLNA  so it looks like you are out of options for direct connection to the 5366.

The 3864 worked perfectly so why do they remove features that work? Maybe its called progress! Mmm?

Yep, pretty much.

Could buy wireless lazer printer $120, could buy external print server $100. “Not happy Jan”.

Or you could spend $0 and do what @Mkrtich suggested.

Top Contributors