cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

JAHK
New Contributor
New Contributor

Confirming an NBN appointment

On 1/3/21 an electrical storm passed through our area and the EMP from the storm took out a number of NBN receivers, including ours.   I reported the issue that day.  

Optus requested an appointment to repair on 4/3/21.

On 2/3/21 the NBN contractor phoned to say they could not come until 23/3/21.  We are rural and remote, so this was not surprising.  

I then spent 2 long sessions on the phone with Optus trying to convince them that they could put in all the requests in the world, but given we are rural and remote and the technician only comes our way once a month, that they needed to take the appointment allocated and send me confirmation of this so I could get on with my life and go to work for the next 3 weeks.  To date the keep just saying, we have requested an appointment and are expecting someone to show up.  They cannot understand the issue as they do not seem to understand the limitations of being rural and remote in areas with low populations and are ignoring the actual appointment as it is 3 weeks away.  

I need a confirmation of the appointment as I cannot stay at home for the next 3 weeks waiting for someone to turn up.  If I call back the support line they will just say I'm sorry nobody turned up, I will put in a request for tomorrow.  Yesterday I phoned at 1:30pm and they said someone should there there by 5pm.  The technician is based a 6 hour drive away.  No matter how many times I pointed this out, they just kept repeating like a robot that the appointment had been rescheduled for the afternoon.  So I couldn't leave, despite knowing that nobody was coming.  The actual NBN appointment for the 23rd is on the Optus records, however nobody on the support line will send me confirmation of this.  

How do I get the support line to understand the situation and confirm the appointment?  I need to be able to leave the house!  I have lost hours to this already, half of which was convincing the support line that the NBN contractor had called and it wasn't a hoax call as one support line worker told me.  What kind of hoax doesn't ask me for credit card or personal details, and is polite, empathetic and helpful?  They were the ones who told me that Optus should provide a 4G dongle as a temporary measure, not Optus.  When I initially asked Optus for help re this I just kept being told someone was coming on the 4th and I would receive a credit for my lost days.  There was again another hour trying to convince Optus I needed this as their appointment wasn't going to be fulfilled.  The dongle is arriving today.    

This has taken many hours of work away from me and I cannot afford for this to continue.  If Optus had to pay for all the lost time of the people who to call many times for many hours a help line that doesn't offer realistic solutions, perhaps it would be cheaper to move the call centres back to Australia and have the jobs here.   

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_YC

Re: Confirming an NBN appointment

Hey @JAHK, thank you so much for taking the time to share this.

I can certainly understand if there's been issues with this and wanting a confirmed time slot. As we'll require some personal information, we'll need you to send us a private message either through Facebook or Twitter. From there, we can delve into this and investigate to see what has been advised and assist however possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Steven_YC

My apologies, it seemed to have sent early here.

We can also look at alternative options to provide some sort of connection for the interim.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
JAHK
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks

Is that through the Optus FB page?  I don't use twitter.
Do I just send the message I posted?  Is there a reference number to quote when I message via FB from this post and your request for me to contact via FB? 

Let me know and I will message.  

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Hey @JAHK - That's correct! You just need to pop through our page and on either the right hand or left hand side of our official page, there's a button to privately message us. Once there, just send us a short message and our team will pick this up and look into this. You're more than welcome to copy and paste the above message there.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So Optus records indicate 23/3 and the NBN contractor said 23/3. I'm not sure where the issue is? Be home on the 23/3.

Optus have no direct control over the NBN (which arranges its own contractors). All they can do is look at their screen an tell you what they see. There's no knowledge of where you are and what NBN technicians might be wandering through at what frequencies. Unfortunately some Optus staff are prone to making up explanations to fit the moment.

It is strange that a NBN technician has called you directly to relay scheduling information. They should have contacted Optus and its Optus task to inform you.

FWIW Optus isn't all that proactive when it comes to dealing with the NBN. They'll punch in an order and then generally wait until that date has passed. If its fixed great. If not (or the tech doesn't show) then you'll need to call them to tell them that. Other RSPs are a bit more hands on in managing the process but that doesn't help you here.

All I can suggest is be home on the 23/3.

0 Kudos
JAHK
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus won't confirm the 23rd for me and keep telling me to be home at other times.  I intend to be here on the 23rd.  What concerns me is that do I believe or do I not believe what I am told if Optus are saying the appointment has been rescheduled.  How do I know which is correct?  I have 2 organisations saying 2 different things.  I need them to say the same thing to give me confidence if the appointment is actually rescheduled that it is true, as the contractor said they would try and get to the area earlier as there are quite of few of us with the same problem.  I have no confidence right now in what Optus say to me.  

They don't know where I am?  They have my address and ask for it in the identification process, so that is not true.   

The contractor said they are not allowed to contact Optus directly and have to do it via a online "process", which registers on the case for Optus, which they have done and is on the Optus case.  It is Optus who aren't accepting that the rescheduling has occurred and won't confirm that for me and keep requesting times the technician cannot meet.  If the tech company hadn't contacted me I would have absolutely no idea what is going on, as Optus are making this up as they're going along and I had to be belligerent to get out of Optus that the technicians has rescheduled for the 23rd.  

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

Hi @JAHK, I'm sorry for any confusion caused by your NBN appointment. 

As mentioned, once we've lodged a case with NBN and submit an appointment this will need to be confirmed by NBN. If NBN has determined that your appointment needs to be rescheduled, we would have had to request a new date/time and submit to NBN for approval.  If  you would like further clarification on this and for us to confirm your appointment date/time we encourage you to engage with our Messaging Team via the My Optus App with any reference numbers that you've received. If you are unable to access the My Optus App for any reason you can also send through Private Message on our Official Facebook or Twitter page.

Top Contributors