Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
juma
New Contributor
New Contributor

Compensation

Hi there,

I am running my business 100% on internet and I have no interent for the last twe weeks,and hence, lost my income. Optus does not seem to care much as i have been on the phone with them at least 10 times and each time takes 1 hour to get hold off them and no reuslt at the end. 

I want to claim for compensation for the loss of my income. How do I go about this?

Any help would be appreicated.

Regards,

Juma 

5 Replies
10000000000GB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Compensation

I haven't read the Optus terms, but they more than likely say that you have to tolerate the internet breaking randomly, without suing them. I just scanned the NBN terms and they say Optus is not responsible for anything on the NBN. However, what usually breaks is not on the NBN, but they could easily make up a story that it was. My father's Optus ADSL seems to break every year for a couple of weeks. Last time he said the wires at the junction box were mysteriously disconnected.

If you want reliable service to run a business, you either need a failover system, like 4G, or use a company that has a policy of fixing faults, or supplying failover, and actually being available on the telephone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failover

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Looks like you dont have a business grade service with set Service Level Agreement on Uptime.

If internet is critical to your business then having a SLA based busienss plan and redundancy such as mobile broadband is key.

Pretty much most consumer plans are best effort services, where as ones with SLA will have set timeframes for restoration, and if these are not met (excluding natural disasters etc) you do get compensated at an agreed amount.

Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @juma - have you been offered any alternate product/service to use whilst there is a fault?
Also, we can escalate you off to speak to someone about compensation, however we generally wait until a fault is resolved prior to this discussion. 
Can you send me a PM with your details? More than happy to discuss this with you further and arrange something for you to use in the meantime. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

" I just scanned the NBN terms and they say Optus is not responsible for anything on the NBN."

Despite this Optus are still resopnsible for providing the service they have advertised. If the NBN shuts up shop Optus would still be on the hook to all its paying customers. 

Unfortunately 'compensation' in Optus (and most Telcos) might get you your monthly plan fee recredited. If it happens for long enough you should also be able to leave your contract with out penalty. 

As others have mentioned, the internet is not guaranteed so if you need it, try get some redundancy built in. Telstra for example now offer built in 4G SIM backup for when their landline network goes down.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Rob_YC

Hi @seowo, doesn't sound great. We're happy to check this out from our side. 

Could you send us a private message through the Official Optus Facebook or Twitter with any reference numbers you had. If you haven't been provided any may we ask for your postcode/suburb. Our team will take a look into this asap

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos