cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Compensation for not being able to use telephone

Greetings

There was a fault with the Optus network where I was unable to make telephone calls for more than four months.  When Optus finally fixed the issue, I was told I would receive compensation within two months. Well I still have not received any compensation. 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Compensation for not being able to use telephone

There is a legally required compenstaion for loss of phone connection (not loss of internet connection though).

You should contact Optus directly and get a specific case number etc. Optus will likely not compensate anything until the process is specifically started by you.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

This is how I am officially contacting Optus. The last time I spoke with an Optus operator on the telephone, it did nothing and I had to get resolution through Ombudsman. I have found that this forum is the best way to get something done.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @angelo_f, apologies for the inconvenience caused. May I please confirm if you've contacted our techs on 131344 to discuss your service disruption? You can also check our CSG details here → http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/customer-service-guarantee-mass-service-disruptions-or-e...

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted support in December and they were unable to resolve until May (so more thasn four months). It is fixed now, hjowever, the lasst person fropm Optus said thast I would be compensated. I thought I had already explained this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You're welcome to PM me @angelo_f and I'd be happy to check out what's been going on with your account and if it's able to be assessed under our Customer Service Guarantee - Marie 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

So the final answer through private messaging is that because Optus compenstated me for unreliable internet access from April to May last year, they don't beleive they need to compensate me for not being able to use my telephone from December last year to May this year.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I assume you've looked the CSG links provided above? 

I also assume you're not on the Mass Disruption register linked there?

The fault was just to your local home/street? The issue has also been resolved now?

Compensation for a previous incident obviously isn't a valid exemption reason not to pay if needed again. But then again PMs and forum posts aren't normally part of the compensation process. Sure they can be a nice shortcut but I'm not surprised if they don't get the results hoped for.

As you've done before, I'd just make a short submission to the TIO detailing the dates without phone and asking why the compensation hasn't been "automatically" applied to your bill as is required? If the answer is you're not elligible then at least you'll find out why.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

The problem was in the programming of the whole Optus network with regard to call barring. They finally got their engineers to fix the problem up.

This forum is the first mechanism that I must use before going to Ombudsman. I have to have tried to get a reolution through Optus first. They ahve effectivly told me that because I received compensation for a previous two month outage, that they won't compensate for this four month. Just like last time, Ombudsman will look at claim and put me through to someone who will actually take action.  The last time, Optus denied I even had a problem. Lucky I kept all my text messages from them, just like I have done so for this issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Interesting. The CSG does specifically cover "customer controlled call barring" - I wonder if it was an internal fault they don't say its "customer controlled"? Anyway that's not the reason they've given you to date (they seem to be suggesting you didn't have a problem at all?). 

IMO, skip the forum - there's nothing to suggest your posts are even read by anyone with authority in Optus (let alone acted on appropriately). All that's needed for the TIO is to write a letter to the Optus Complaints Dept detailing your concerns. Optus have a definite process and time frame (9? days) to respond and provide a solution. You'll also get an official complaint number hopefully.

If that doesn't work out then you can make a submission to the TIO and the TIO can take it from there. 

Anyway, you seem on top of things and I wish you good luck holding Optus to account.

Regards

Peter Gillespie