Searching...
Accepted Solution

Cisco SPA504G IP phone won't call mobile numbers on my Optus NBN

vange

I've setup a Cisco SPA504G phone on our office network to use for calls. We have the standard Optus supplied Sagemcom router. I've check the line with a standard PSTN phone and it can make and recieve calls.

I've disabled the internal PSTN line on the router and used the information from it's config file to set up SIP on the Cisco phone. The phone receives calls and can make calls to landlines, 13, 1300 and 1800 numbers fine. It won;t however make mobile calls.

This is not a dial plan issue as the mobile no. is accepted, it just doesn't ring in the earpieace or on the mobiles I've tried. It just sits there, and after 30 secs or so gives a busy signal.

I've also tried our 1300 number, which is routed to a mobile and get the same result. Other 1300 numbers ring and connect.

I've spent hours going through the phones settings to but have had no luck.

Can anyone help, please?

Vange.

Re: Cisco SPA504G IP phone won't call mobile numbers on my Optus NBN

vange

Downloaded X-Lite VOIP software, and it connects to the OPTUS VOIP without any problems and calls mobile numbers fine. Also tried facvtory reset on the phone and readding accoount details.

Nothing helped. Sounds like something very specific to the way the Cisco phones are set up.

Hollie

Hey Vange

It does sound quite strange that you'd be able to make all calls apart from to mobiles. The fact that you're able to do this via the software leads me to believe there are some settings in the phone that may need to be changed or configured to allow you to dial mobile numbers. Do you need to put a 0 in front of the number before dialling out? Have you tried pausing for 5 seconds once you've got a dial tone before dialling to see if this makes a difference? This is unsupported by us so if still having problems I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer of the phone to see if they can assist further.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Solution

vange

I was going to wait until tomorrow to post up a more detailed entry....worked it out just an hour ago....

Symptons:

1. couldn't dial any mobiles

2. land lines worked, but around 1 in 3 would fail to connect (like mobiles, basically did nothing)

3. Optus NBN home voip number could ring in and connect, as good Optus mobiles

4. Telstra land number could ring the phone, but we would be disconnected as soon as we answered

None of these problems occured with softphone application.

Solution, and proven this by factorty resseting the phone as well (which I've done numerous times before) is to change one setting!

Under SIP tab, >RTP Parameters section, change RTP Packet Size from .03 to .02...that's it!

I've tried changing this value before to .01 and .16 (the min and max), but it made no difference. This value was suggested in an obscure post by someone. I don't know why it works, or even it is exactly the best value yet, but so far 100% success in both directions.

I may tweak it a little either side if it's starts failing at all.

The other things I'll be doing is adjusting the call codecs to closer match the Optus PSTN settings in the router (G711a, G729a & G726-24), and also disabling the G.722 codec, as it apparently has caused others problems on this phone.

iamg

Hi vange,

I am having similar issues, I was wondering if you could share your dial plan with me.

Thanks G

vange

Sorry for the delayed response....

We're using this...

(000S0|[*#]xxS0|13[1-9]xxxS0|1[38]00xxxxxxS0|190xxxxxxx!|[2-9]xxxxxxxS0|0[2-9]xxxxxxxxS0|xx.)

coolcambo

Hi Vange!

I have the exact same Cisco phone - SPA504G ... Can you please share how to configure the phone? Cisco seems to require a lot of technical info to get it connected to VOIP. As much as we have managed to do is update the firmware...

I've tried following the Cisco Admin Guide ... must I just don't get it. All we've done so far is connect power to the phone, ethernet cable from SW port to Sagemcom router, PC ethernet to computer. (updated firmware).

Thank you so much for your time!! I hope to hear from you! 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
62 Kudos
28 Kudos
24 Kudos
18 Kudos
17 Kudos