Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
sliverin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Choice of FTTC modem

Wanting to look at signing up to the 100/20 FTTC plan, the modem you supply is the 4G backup ultra like the once below

sliverin_0-1618564321797.png

Problem I have is that this modem is really ugly. Is there a choice to get something that looks more stylish?  I am looking at purchasing a Google Nest router and additional point but unsure if will work on optus, and whether there is an option on the plan to not get the modem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Casey_YC

Re: Choice of FTTC modem

Hi there, @sliverin

Thanks for you enquiry. 

As you will see on our site, the Optus Ultra WiFi modem is the modem we provide for our NBN customers. 

I refer you to our Modem equipment, set up & user guides for Fixed Broadband page and in particular, the section that advises:

"Using an Optus-supplied modem allows us to provide support for connecting and troubleshooting your equipment. It will also allow us to confirm that your service is working, which is required by law for nbnTM services.

If you decide not to use the modem we supply, the support we can provide may be limited."

It's important to consider this when looking to start up an NBN service with Optus. You are provided the modem as part of the plan regardless, when taking up the plan. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You must use an Optus supplied router when you first connect, but after that you can use any router with Optus FTTC as long as you don't need an Optus home phone.
0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Hi @sliverin - We do need to mention that should you opt to use a third-party modem/router in this scenario, we're limited to troubleshooting and assisting to our full capacity in this regard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Might not be exactly to your tastes but 'really ugly' seems a bit unfair. You don't have to put it in the middle of the diving table. Most people stick it on a cupboard or shelf somewhere.

The service issue isn't a real problem. I'd you're having NBN problem you can always just plug it back on and then call support if the issue remains.

Note that not using the iris modem means no local phone line and no 4g backup.

Also note that fttc requires a special modem (the modem powers the phone line) and you can't just use something like a nest instead.

All RSP will provide a special fttc modem for this reason. Suggest you start with the one provided and look to functionality over form for the time being.

And just a note that buying the Optus modem isn't optional. You must purchase the $250 device. It's free if you stay with Optus for 2-3 years