Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
JulietS
New Contributor
New Contributor

Charges for excess data

We have had issues with poor internet speed and connectivity for some time now. An Optus technician came out on Wednesday and changed the modem before advising that the NBN was the problem. Since the technician's visit we have had absolutely no internet at all and have been having to use our mobile data. With 4 people in the household we have used up almost all our data allowance (including the bonus 20GB).

I would like to know if we will be charged for excessive data use at a cost of $10/1GB when the problem is not our fault? Before the Optus technician came we had some internet even if it was fairly poor but since then we have had absolutely none. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Charges for excess data

Normally the answer would be no. You should perhaps have been a bit more frugal with your data not knowing it could be all you have for a while?

Its unclear if Optus will ultimately charge the excess fee in the end but at the moment the position is yes, all excess fees will need to be paid. Normally Optus would provide a PC dongle from their store and load it with 20Gb or so of data (for emergency use only, not watching videos)

At this stage you can only get through to Optus and request they get the NBN out. Resuming services is one of 4 priority things they are on so while it might be a long wait you can hopefully get though and get something organised.

What NBN technology do you have? Do you have a small NBN modem with one port out? What are the lights on that modem saying?

PS If you need bonus data fast then look at the Boost Mobile prepaid offerings. You can get 150Gb or 240Gb for a few hundred. Alternatively grab a month to month Optus 500Gb wireless broadband plan online. It will cost you $200 for the modem but you will have access and a backup alternate data supply. Both those options will take a couple of days to mail out the equipment.

0 Kudos
JulietS
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply Peter. i am not quite sure why we should be expected to pay excess usage charges when the fault lies either with Optus or NBN. Prior to last Wednesday and the Optus technician replacing our modem we had poor internet but we actually had internet and could therefore use our wifi even if it was slow. After his visit we totally lost all our internet. We have a student doing the HSC and another doing third year uni, as well as a parent working from home so I'm not exactly sure who should be being frugal with data while participating in online classes or management meetings all done via Zoom?  

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Juliet

You're conflating two separate things. Just because your NBN connection (with unlimited data) isn't working doesn't mean you can suddenly download all the data you want via the Optus mobile network free of charge. Yes its frustrating and Optus needs to get on the NBN side of things but you still need to work within the boundaries. I can't say what is more important HSC, UNi, Work, paying $10 /Gb, but we are at a stage where those tough decisions need to be made.

I've provided a couple of answers, a couple of options and asked a couple of questions.

But to answer your question, if your NBN isn't working there are remedies available but they don't include downloading what you want via mobile phones without hefty fees.
0 Kudos
JulietS
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter I apologise for being so short. Have just found it so frustrating as we have been contacting (or trying to contact) Optus for well over a month now and we have done the technical things they advise (hard reset of the modem for example) and it fixes it for a few days then we are back down to slow speeds and drop outs. Then we got a new modem which the tech guy said was excellent (SageMCom?) and we now have no internet. We have checked all the lines and tried the old modem but nothing has worked. NBN is coming now on Monday thankfully. Thanks for taking the time to reply I will check out the options you have suggested.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not an issue. We're all on edge and things have shifted a fair bit in a short period. Complaining about poor Optus service was the norm last month. 🐵 Great the NBN is scheduled for Monday. Hopefully that gets the issue sorted properly.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors