cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Changing NBN Account Holder

This is more a complaint than a question. 

I've been with Optus NBN for over 2 years now. I'm moving out of my rented house and need to transfer the account holder. 

I called up, and to my surprise, apparently I cannot simply transfer over the phone (as I had done previously).

They sent me the form I need to print out, fill in, then fax or drop off at an Optus store. One part of the form says that the new account holder needs to provide a utility bill with his/her name on it. I told the customer service guy that the new tenent doesn't have any bills at the house, and asked for some alternative. He says that it HAD to be a utility bill. 

Seriously? That is riduculous. I checked with Optus Sales, and to START a brand new account you only need to provide 100 points of ID. Fortunately, I can cancel my account with Optus as I've held the contract for over 2 years and he can just start a new one. But, why is your system so rigid.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Changing NBN Account Holder

A good question. You obviuosly need proof of an address and a utility bill is the easiest most verifiable way to get that.

A copy of the lease should also suffice though.

Have you tried the online process ? It may be a bit different from the form.

Alternatively a bank statement will also be accepeted (easiest thing to change their address fast and order one)

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I find it distressing that my partner and I cannot be on named as account holders.  If banks can do it - why can't Optus manage it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus require a single person to be ultimately responsible for an account. If you want you can both open separate accounts for your services (mobile phones?). If you list the same postal address then they will be combined into Optus family data sharing. But frankly its a hassle. Most utilities IME have aprimary account holder and they can designate a secondary account holder with full authority over the account.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Most utilities IME have aprimary account holder and they can designate a secondary account holder with full authority over the account

Does optus do this?  What was offered was the ability to create another sale.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

No need to buy more stuff. It depends what you're ultimately after? If you just want your partner to be able to manage the online account too then yes, you just add them to the account as authorised.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Billing/Joint-bill/td-p/567327#:~:text=Re%3A%20Joint%20bill,but%20n....
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @Jo3edc,

Thanks for raising this with us. There can only be one account holder. This is mainly due to only one credit check can be performed when a customer signs up and only person can be financially responsible for the account. 

A Third Party Authority can be set up. This will allow a non account holder to make enquires about the account. Generally the Third Party Authority will need to supply a PIN when enquiring about the account. 

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi 

That is exactly what is the problem: There can only be one account holder.

Thank you for your help.  

0 Kudos