Searching...
Solution

Re: Cannot directly select 5GHz channel operation on Sagemcom FAS3864v3AC modem

erani

Yes my modem software is v10.87 and up to date (I think?) Optus won’t even publish this information! Updates are pushed and applied automatically when available.

The options on the 5GHz radio page for BFR are Disabled/SU BFR/MU BFR and for BFE are Disabled/SU BFE/MU BFE. I don’t know what the MU options are or what they do.

The equivalent 2.4 GHz beam forming buttons are still greyed out (and disabled) in this current software version.

I gave all the beam forming options a try, including disabled, however did I not see any change in behaviour or speed as per the Ookla test. 

However I have stumbled on why my connection was sluggish on channel 36. The modem was at about 50 cm height off the floor, and by raising to just over 100 cm it is now showing a Tx rate on the iMac of up to 300 Mbps, whereas previously at times it was just 6 Mbps! Strange however, as it had functioned beautifully at this height for months up until my recent problems.

I am on the Optus NBN 50 plan, and download/upload speeds as measured by Ookla (Saturday 5:30pm local time) is around 47/19 Mbps which is excellent!

I originally lamented the fact that I was limited to only 36/80 if  I wanted a specific 5 GHz channel with this modem, and still do. However the resolution found leaves me reasonably satisfied that I can fulfil my needs on both my legacy device (iMac) and current devices when I choose 36/80.

Thank you to petergdownload, newline and Mkrich for your replies. I am a little more wise than I was before (but still unhappy with Optus for allowing all this to be so mysterious). Don't keep us in the dark and allow us to download some decent specifications and documentation for the Sagemcom modems that you supply!

Highlighted

Mkrtich

Glad to read your discovery has improved matters. I think SU and MU come from the terms Single User-Multiple Input Multiple Output (SU-MIMO) and Multi-User Multiple Output (MU-MIMO); the later describes the Router's ability to process more than one request from a remote device simultaneously in real time. SU-MIMO can also handle multiple requests but they are queued and processed in order of arrival. Surprising to see MU in the description in the Beamforming section in the Sagemcom V3AC which I suspect to be a SU-MIMO Router, as this feature is generally in more modern and expensive 802.11 ac Wave 2 Routers that have more advanced CPUs with three Wi-Fi Chipsets, one for the 2.4Ghz and two for the 5 Ghz radios.  Maybe the GUI screens are being prepped for the release of a new Sagemcom model. There are some very good YouTube clips on the subject  of SU and MU and Wikipedia is also a good reference for all the IEEE 802.11 standards. 

There have been some posts authored by Optus on the forum regarding versions of firmware last year and I will ask the Moderator who kindly provided this information last year to update it. 

@Dan_C - is it possible for you to update your posts from May and June last year to include subsequent firmware updates for all Sagemcom Routers which may list improvements made to address known issues. If this information was posted at the top of the Forum page in the fixed section above member entries, it would be easily found by readers and may help people who are experiencing unforeseen issues with their equipment. Appreciate the effort you went through last time, it was helpful. 

erani

Thank you, you have been most helpful.

I will look very much forward to the information provided by DanC if he responds to your request.

[ Edited ]
newline

Thank you for being such a helpful poster in solving an issue. You'd be surprised how often an issue is far simpler than we assume. Glad yours is resolved.

@Ray_YC  Are you the best person to action @Mkrtich request, above?

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

G'day @Mkrtich .  I completely agree with you.

Funny you ask. This is something that I've recently popped on our wish list. We're just trying to get the product team to be a little more proactive with the communication they send us. That way, I can update those threads with our current firmware versions. I'm also hoping to post an outline of any improvements, bug fixes/limitations.

I shall update you guys accordingly. Cheers, Dan

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Dan_C

@newline , I don't respond on the forum as much as I used to (but I'm going to start jumping in when I can).

I'm mostly working on some other things in the background, but I'm here if you guys have a question Smiley Happy 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos