Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor ian_l
New Contributor

Cannot connect to more than one device at the same time

I have recently connected to nbn broadband. I am able to connect to internet using wifi or ethernet, but only one device at a time.

If I try to connect to a 2nd device, it connects to the wifi network but internet is not available.

The only way I have been able to connect to a different device is to shutdown everything, reboot the mobile and then start the device I want to connect.

Obviously this is not satisfactory.

Any advice on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cannot connect to more than one device at the same time

Wifi is just an extension of wired internet. 

A home router is designed to funnel all your home connections (wired or wifi) through a single pipe out to the internet. 

I'm saying that once the data leaves your house the internet is agnostic (doesn't care what or where the data came from). 

So the issue is almost certainly your home router setup. I'd suggest simplifying things. Disconnect everything other than the router and get a single wired connection working (which you seem to have). Now try add one more wired connection. If that works then scrap all those connections and setup a single wifi connection. Then add one more. After that try do one wired and one wifi connection.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor ian_l
New Contributor

Thanks for suggestion. I am afraid I can't get past one wired connection either.

I have not changed any settings from the default, but it seems something is not right.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I suspect one or more of your devices has been assigned the same IP address. So your router and PC might both be set to 192.168.0.1 for example. Might be the DHCP settings (perhaps two devices are trying to assign IP addresses to the other equipment).

In this situation you get the behavior you're experiencing. Check the IP address of each item as you plug them in (one at a time). Also check any DHCP settings. Assign a fixed IP address to each device perhaps?

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

New Contributor ian_l
New Contributor

Thanks Peter. I appreciate your advice.

I think I have resolved this now.

I am not sure exactly what worked because I tried a few things like changing cables and fully resetting the modem, but it seems to work properly now.

Regards

Ian

0 Kudos
New Contributor thisistom
New Contributor

Hi there,

I'm having this exact problem which started about 5 days ago and I have tried resetting everything multiple times and changing cables etc. but can only connect one device to my internet. I would really appreciate some help with this as it is driving me a little mad trying to figure out what is going on and how it can be fixed. 

Cheers,

Tom

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Start at the basics. Disconnect all cat5 cables and turn off wifi. Then one cat5 from your modem to the PC. Check your dhcp settings on the modem. Once to sorted add the next box and see what happens.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos