cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Can you have both Cable and NBN services active at the same premise?

My dad currently has Telstra Cable internet(HFC) at his home. He has a Main phone, FaxStream Duet and Multiple Number all on 1 copper line. Because of the complex numbers, we need to do a type C complex porting for all of his numbers. Long story short.

My plan is to keep the Telstra going, port all 3 number out to a VOIP provider. Sign up to Optus NBN without a phone number. Port the main number back from a VOIP provider to Optus as the main number and keep the other 2 number with the VOIP provider. The reason for this is, if we port over the main number at time of setup then we will lose the FaxStream duet and the Multiple number. Then disconnect Telstra once all is working. 

Is it possible to keep the Telstra Cable running and Sign up Optus NBN at the same time?

Will the Telstra Cable be automatically disconnected once Optus NBN is going? 

Do we have to have a phone number when Sign up for Optus NBN? 

Can we port in a number after NBN is activated?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Can you have both Cable and NBN services active at the same premise?

Interesting scenario. Off the bat I don't see why not. When you sign up with Optus NBN there is nothing to connect you to your Telstra account (other than your same home address). Optus NBN will use the Telstra HFC cable though. This shouldn't be a problem in itself as the same Telstra cable is running both legacy HFC and NBN HFC for the next 18 months. 

Seen many posts where people have mentioned having 2 or even 3 NBN providers to the same address.

You don't have to have a phone number when joining the NBN (many plans don't include a phone). 

The NBN activation process involves the relevent ISP providing NBN with a phone number (usually when you're first porting a number in). Its apparentlyt just a field on the screen. I'm sure there's a process for updating this number down the track. HOwever I'd try get confirmation from NBN direct on that.

All up what you suggest should work IMO however:

1) It may go balls up halfway through no matter what assurances you have got (and working between 3 Telcos and NBNCo with non usual setups will not be fun to try resolve). Have a plan for that eventuality.

2) Might be a good time to reassess your fathers needs. Similar third party services may exist or using a totally different tech approach might give the same or better outcomes.

Good Luck.

Peter Gillespie

PS In case I wasn't clear, I'm quietly confident you should be able to do what you want but its by no means a slam dunk assurance. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Can you have both Cable and NBN services active at the same premise?

In theory, seems to be okay. But being NBN, nothing is simple and straight foward. 

I am thinking that just like having Foxtel services. The HFC comes into the house splits into 2, 1 for Telstra Cable and the other for NBN. Sorting out the phone lines is another issue. Another issue is that not all NBN providers are friendly to external VOIP. Maybe keeping all 3 lines with a VOIP provider and get the NBN without a phone line. 

Which 3rd party services do you have in mind? 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors