cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Dharsh
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can the Optus NBN modem be re-used by someone else?

Hello

I have Optus NBN and had to buy their modem 2 years ago. I am now moving premises that has no NBN. 

Can someone else use this modem? Or can it be re-cycled?

thanks

Dharsh

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Can the Optus NBN modem be re-used by someone else?

If the other person is with Optus NBN then they will have absolutely no problem using it. Just make sure you factory reset it before giving it away.

If they are not with Optus NBN then usability will range from totally unusable to usable for internet only (i.e. no fixed phone line), depending on which internet provider they have.

As for recycling, it can be recycled like any other electronic equipment.

0 Kudos
Dharsh
New Contributor
New Contributor

thank you!

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

Hi there, @Dharsh. Thanks for posting on YesCrowd.

@YetAnotherAcc is pretty much on the ball here. The Optus NBN modems are designed to be used with Optus connections. 

Should you give the modem to another person who doesn't have Optus as their internet service provider, we cannot guarantee it'll work or have full capabilities. 

If you wish to recycle the modem, our teams can arrange a satchel to be sent out to you and have the modem sent back to us so we can make sure it's correctly recycled. You can get in touch with our Customer Care team via Messaging in the My Optus App or by calling 133 937 to have this arranged.

Otherwise, I'd recommend searching for your nearest e-waste recycling centre that accepts modems and drop it off there.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AussieTintin
New Contributor
New Contributor

Dear Nard_YC,
people should be able to drop off their obsolete/unwanted modems & other Optus E-waste at the nearest store. This would be THE quickest & most cost effective way to retrieve unwanted modems.
Please tell me that ...
1. That this is the case right now.
2. That if this is not possible, that it will be implemented ASAP
Regards,
0 Kudos
Vin_YC

Hi @AussieTintin, I've replied to your other thread but just to answer your questions here, we currently don't accept obsolete/unwanted modems and other Optus E-waste at our stores.

I've also tagged this post for feedback to the relevant teams for review and to consider the above incentive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.