cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
sweetfeng
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can't connect to nbn because previous tenant hasn't disconnected theirs & cannot contact them

Hi, Optus has told me that I need to contact the previous tenant in order to activate my nbn internet service. I have been trying to contact them through my rental agency however am not having any luck. Is there any way that I can get my nbn service up and running without having to contact the previous tenant? I don't want to be internet-less for months if the old tenant does not reply for months. This is one of the most unreasonable rules I've ever heard as it is not within our control whether or not the old tenant could be successfully contacted. There are so many reasons that could render us not able to get into contact with a previous tenant, such as they've moved overseas, they've changed their contact details, or it may just not be in their highest interest to deal with the issue etc. There should be a way where we should be able to get connected if we could for example provide proof of address. I have been trying to get my internet up and running for the past 2 weeks now, and it has involved countless phone calls with long wait times just to speak to an Optus staff member who is unable to assist me with this issue. In one particular call, I had waited 3 hours on the phone, only to be told by a robot that Optus is having system issues and cannot process my call.

Extremely disappointed in this service. Although I understand that it may be hard to get to every customer on the calls due to the COVID-19 situation and increased demand for support, problems should at least be solved once we get through to a staff member to make it worth the wait. For a company that values customer service, Optus is really underdelivering.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Can't connect to nbn because previous tenant hasn't disconnected theirs & cannot contact the

You need to send Optus proof of occupancy.

sweetfeng
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Can't connect to nbn because previous tenant hasn't disconnected theirs & cannot contact the

Hi there, thank you so much for your reply. Of the multiple staff members I have spoken to, not a single one has informed me of this option.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Now all you need to do is find out the secret email address to send it too. If you are still having problems getting things moving after this I would suggest trying a second RSP, one with month to month plans. Aussie Broadband for example. They may be able to push things through. Once you've arranged your NBN and got it set up then switching to any other RSP (e.g. Optus) is very easy.
0 Kudos
sweetfeng
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes exactly! How am I going to find this email address.... Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos