Searching...

Can i replace my sagemcom HFC nbn

Cliffbar

So ive got the basic SagemCom modem and obviously with optus.

The connection is HFC therefor i have the little box that connects to the current modem. 
Also connected is a phone line.

Im struggling to game and stream at the moment and need a new modem with QOS abilities so i can control the traffic of the internet.

What modems can i buy or can i even buy any which have the phone line connection as well as the fibre connection.

Re: Can i replace my sagemcom HFC nbn

Cliffbar

I have no idea why this is so confusing for me.
Why do no modems have phone line connections available? Do i have to get VOIP ? I currently am not the home owner so the best thing i can do is buy a new router but whats the point if they still have a phone line connection and no routers i see suppor that.

Cliffbar

HFC_Diagram_Wout_Existing_PayTV.jpg

Cliffbar

This is the current set up that i have going.

SamSam

Do you actually use the phone line at all or just want it there?

Reason for me asking is that yes, it's a VOIP service now however Optus won't provide the credentials required to set up your VOIP service on a modem that isn't provided by Optus. So you can either keep your current set up and then buy a router and plug that into your current modem to provide WiFi throughout your house. 

Alternatively, you could give up using the landline and replace the Optus modem you have with a third party router. No more landline but you'll have less clutter and one less piece of equipment in your network that could fail. About 6 months ago I bought the asus ac68u and have found it to be excellent (also a gamer). 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Cliffbar

So i think its just there. Ive never seen them use it. (i dont own the house so ill talk to them about that)
Its a little rj11 phone line connection.
No modem/router ive researched has that connection though i think maybe...maybe i could use an rj45 adapter and plug the rj11 phone cord into that. 

I think optus charge more to get rid of the home line too ffs.

SamSam

Oh most people just don't use the landline, you don't need to actually get rid of it. Myself included, it's technically included in my bundle but with mobile technology where it is, I don't see any need for it personally.

If you're not using it, I wouldn't worry about it. Just leave it there and worry about the internet connection Smiley Happy

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
25 Kudos
18 Kudos