Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Can I use a phone with the Optus modem via another modem

petergdownload

Hi,

My understanding is that I have to use the Optus supplied modem if I want to use my standard phone. I have confirmed if I plug my FTTP cable into the Optus modem and my phone in I get the dial tone and all is good.

However I have other modems I am using in home. They work fine plugged into the NBN cable. Is it possible to set the Optus modem as just a secondary router and still keep its phone capability so:

NBN => My Modem WAN port => Optus modem => Phone?

Thanks for any tips

Peter Gillespie

Re: Can I use a phone with the Optus modem via another modem

[ Edited ]
Sputnik

Hi Peter it's Sputnik again (thanks for the Kudos last time),

I may be completely off the mark with this problem you have, but I wondered if you were trying to use the other modem for firewall purposes? or if the location of your Optus modem presented issues regarding the location of a phone, computer and/or Fetch TV?

If it is the former I may not be of any help, I'm sorry; if however if it is the later it may be possible to leave the Optus modem plugged into the phone socket and use a cordless phone system. The base unit would have to be plugged into the modem.and the other phones would function throughout the property in locations of your choice.

As for your other wireless devices, the use of a wireless range extender would get your signal further afield (I use a Netgear WN3000RP) and it has the advantage of WPS for easy connection so your devices will see it as the current network address with an _EXT suffix.

If you have Fetch TV or non wireless computer and it is too far from the modem then use a Powerline Adapter. If Optus knows your Fetch TV unit is too far from the modem (more than 3 meters) they will usually supply this item for a subsidised fee, if not for free. The D-Link Powerline AV500 is good, as it has a passthrough socket for the 240 volt power. Connect one adapter to the modem with the catagory 5 cable (supplied) and the household 240 volt wiring sends the signal to the location of the other adapter which connects to the Fetch TV box or computer via another short catagory 5 cable.

Hope it give you food for thought at the very least.

All the best Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Hi Sputnik,

Thanks for taking the time out to giev me some suggestions. 

There's no distance or security issues though. I simply have a modem already in place and setup with all the capabilities I need. I'd just like to be able to plug the optus modem into it somehow and then plug my phone into the Optus modem. Happy to keep all the equipment on the one desk.

Maybe if I put a switch from the NBN port that then gets split to both Optus and My Modem. Disable the WAN features of the optus modem and the phone line might get through that way.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Solution

Sputnik

Hi Peter,

I stumbled upon this wiki article which I think has the answer to your question.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Can-I-use-my-BYO-MODEM-on-the-NBN/ta-p/202224

I quote :-  If you have a home phone number with Optus on the NBN, you must use the Optus supplied modem as your main network connection as the modem is specially configured to your phone number.

I have left Kudos for the worthy author.

Regards,

Sputnik

petergdownload

Thanks Sputnik,

I suspected it might be as such but its good to have a definitive answer. Hopefully Optus one day publish the VOIP settings so that customers are free to select a modem they want.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Solution

petergdownload

Much as I loath doing it I have to accept my own post as an answer.

I installed a switch and plugged the NBN box into it. 

Then I connected the Optus modem (from the switch to the Optus WAN port) and turned off DHCP and set its LAN address to 192.168.0.61.

Then I connected my modem (from the switch to the Modem WAN port). Address 192.168.0.1. 

Plugged the phone in to the Optus PHONE 1 port. 

Now I can get internet via my modem and the phone via the Optus modem.

Hope this helps others.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos