Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Can I cancel my Optus NBN contract early without penalties?

superstardj01

Hi,

Since i've been with optus about 6 months i've had issues with speed cusotmer service payments etc, we have fibre to the premises and pay for 40mb line, we have to reboot the router 3-4 times daily as we get varying speeds on wifi, it could be at 35mbs one min and the next 0.1mbs, a reboot later it'll go to 17mbs, I don't expect 40mbs on wifi but I do expect 30mbs, there is interferance no solid walls, our tv struggles to play netflix or youtube and router has clearline of sight to tv thats no more than 8ft from the router, the ping response is anywhere between 22ms and 37ms.

We've had 2 routers now the second was slightly better to begin with but is now worse, I set up a direct payment with them but they failed to set it up. we never received a bill due flooding in townsville so they cut us off with no warning, I set up another direct payment, they fialed to complete this again, I have an account manager looking at our speed issues, he sent us a modem with 50g of data on incase our internet stops AGAIN I tried to register the sim and I had to pay (which I refused) I got sent another and the same again, i have tried using ethernet and the speed is great steady at around 40-47mbs but it's unrealistic to us ethernet in house as we rent and cant hang wires etc, plus I bought it for wireless use.

It's a bit of a Joke really, I want to leave but I'm in an 18mth contract, I may have to speak to the ombudsman.

Re: Can I cancel my Optus NBN contract early without penalties?

Yeldarb

Providing you have reported these issues and given Optus the opportunity to fix the problems then I doubt Optus could hold you to a contract. Speak with support and see what they say about exiting your contract early. If the TIO needs to get involved then so be it.

petergdownload

With the issues you are experiencing you should be able to request the contract be ended. Fibre should never experience the issues you are. If that doesn't happen then write a formal complaint and you fhould get a formal responce. If that doesn't work then you can then move onto the TIO to have them work on Optus on your behalf.

superstardj01

What a joke, Everytime I ring them it's a 45min wait by the time I get to call them I have less than 45mins before they close, apparently due to severe weather conditions in nsw?? There is no severe weather conditions at the moment.

They're making it impossoble to leave.

Solution

Ray_YC

Hi, customers aren't limited to discussing cancellation over the phone. 

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details. 

If not, please chat with us.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

superstardj01

I managed to cancel via webchat with no fee, I leave on Friday and have signed up with with another isp

Yeldarb

Disappointing you had to leave but good to hear no cancellation fees were involved. Hopefully your new ISP will serve you better. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
89 Kudos
54 Kudos
28 Kudos
20 Kudos
19 Kudos